Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alaska Cruise Photo Advice?

Posted by solstice98 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 07 at 11:10

It's not a sure thing yet, but it looks like I'll be doing a family cruise to Alaska in August. I use a Canon A85. I'm not very used to shooting in rainy, misty conditions and don't know anything about shooting from a ship. I expect there to be lots of vibration from the ship's engines, but don't know how to counter that. No tripod, for a start, I guess!

Any advice on shooting in low, flat light?
Any advice on shooting from a cruise ship?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alaska Cruise Photo Advice?

Don't be overly concerned about engine vibration.
Stay away from the aft third of the ship and vibration will be minimal. Having said that I still wouldn't use a tripod.
Ship roll shouldn't be a problem in protected water either but it wouldn't hurt to lean on/against something and try to take your shots at the top or bottom of the roll...if the ship is rolling enough to seriously interfere with picture taking you'll be too busy looking for your Dramamine.

o

Yes, in open seas, waves are a bigger problem than engines. Mist and clouds can be beautiful to photograph. Just take your camera everywhere with you and take advantage of every shot you have a chance to get. Better to take tons and have some bad ones than miss out on what might have been a great one!
And most of all, enjoy!
(When you go on a daytrip off the ship, the clouds/fog don't seem to burn off until about 2 p.m. So plan on staying all day if you want to actually see much! So much to do, and all so beautiful.
JoanMN/FL

o

If you are photographing snow or glaciers you will need to check your white balance......set it on the one for snow.
Or read your camera manual about white balance and snow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here