Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
5 Generation Hands Picture

Posted by oldalgebra (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 5, 11 at 10:48

I hope this is the proper place to post this.
Thought it might be of interest to some.

Here is a link that might be useful: Five Generation Hands Picture: In celebration of International Women's Day

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 5 Generation Hands Picture

Oldalgebra, did you create the Hands photographs? It's not clear who writes the blog. Both the photos and the way they're put together are lovely! Thanks for sharing.

You might be interested in Sally Wiener Grotta's American Hands project.

o

Well, let's see.
This first picture is scanned from my grandmother's wedding photo. Obviously, I didn't take that one! But I did the scanning. I took the photo of the second picture, but it also came from a printed photo and it was scanned and cropped from the original. (Believe it or not, it was the ONLY clear picture I had of my mother's hand.)
The picture of my hand was taken by my husband. I took the final two.

Except for the first photo, the photos were changed from color to black and white in Photoshop Elements.

I am the author of the blog.

So glad you liked the final product.

I am quite taken with your American Hands Project. I remember my father's hands so well - scratchy, calloused, rough (missing the tip of one finger), etc. He could build just about anything and knew his way around woodworking tools and cement trucks. And he taught me well. He worked in an air conditioned office as a civil engineer to support his family, but his heart was never really in it. Although I'm in my 60s now, every once in a while, when I shake the hand of a man with rough hands, I am drawn back to the days when his guiding hands wrapped around mine to teach me the proper way to handle a tool or a fishing pole or the gear shift on his pickup.

I wish you much success and will check back from time to time to see how the project is progressing.

o

I wish I could claim the American Hands project, but it's not mine. Sally Weiner Grotta is doing it; she's a lovely person, and very talented.

My compliments again on your "hands" collage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here