Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Improving quality of slides

Posted by windrunner (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 12, 07 at 21:53

before converting slides to digital, i'd like to improve quality of slides...

some of the slides have slight growth of mold, while others are discoloured...

anything out there that will help to restore these slides...

thanks in advance for your imput...

windr

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Improving quality of slides

Nothing can be done to restore discoloration. The scans can be edited to correct fading and damage. Any attempt to clean mold from the slides should be done after a high quality scan is made. Cleaning attempts could cause further damage. If the mold has undermined the emulsion adhesion to the base the slide could be destroyed in a cleaning attempt. Film cleaner will do little to improve the slides if mold has already attacked the gelatin. Sorry it's not encouraging info, but your best bet is to scan the slides and then restore the images by editing the scans.

It's a lot of work (I know -- I've done my share) but you can do it and you won't risk further damage to the originals.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here