Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gila Cliff Dwellings

Posted by kentuck_8b (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 26, 07 at 21:17

Again, reducing the pixels made the picture small, but you can see the rock dwellings in the center of the picture.

There are several openings/caves and they all connect inside this mountain, and made a nice place to live.

And AGAIN, it RAINED just as we entered the dwellings on about an hour long trek through the woods. But that made it nice. We remained dry and kind of understood how the early Indians felt when they encountered similar rainy days.

It reminds me of the excellent craftsmanship of the bricklaying at Mesa Verde, but on a smaller scale. I have visited numerous places across Colorado and New Mexico that have cliff dwellings, but I really like the seclusion of these. They are located in a true wilderness, in every sense of the word.

GILA CLIFF DWELLINGS

Fron 1270 to 1350 A.D., Indians lived in natural caves along the rock wall of this canyon.

The Mongollon Indians hunted and farmed here near the headwaters of the Gila River.

Kt

Image link: Gila Cliff Dwellings (53 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gila Cliff Dwellings

just love that color!..so soft and muted. I'm getting a good education here too! very interesting!

o

You have captured this nicely KT! Thanks for sharing and explaining your wonderful visit!
Konrad

o

Very nice, KT....Interesting history, too...
juanital

o

So many neat things to see in the good old US! Isn't travel wonderful?
JoanMN/FL

o

This is so nice... I love that you are giving us the history also!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here