Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sun dog

Posted by bigack (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 7, 07 at 19:27

I posted this on the KT, thought I would here too. This is Maggie, lying in her sunbeam today.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sun dog

That is so cute. I thought it was a sun sun-dog until I saw it.

o

Lovely picture of a sunbathing dog!.....I too, was thinking of the "sun"....sun dog, I posted over a year ago.
Konrad

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

Great photo!! Yes, I learned on this forum, what a sundog was. I photographed many in the past, but never knew them by the name, 'sundog'. You fooled me, too!

Maggie sure looks comfortable.

Nice photos also, Konrad! I really like the first one where the sundog is at the tip of that cloud. It looks as though the cloud is smoke coming from a burning ember.

Kt

o

OK educate me...what is a sundog? A place where the sun is reflecting off/through a cloud?

o

educate me, too! I don't see a dog? Love the colors though, Konrad...

Bigack, that is an adorable pic...I love the way the sun is beaming on her...

juanita

o

From Wikipedia...

A sun dog or sundog (scientific name parhelion) is a relatively common atmospheric optical phenomenon associated with the refraction of sunlight by small ice crystals that make up cirrus or cirrostratus clouds.

Sundogs typically appear as a bright and colorful patch in the sky at a position 22 degrees or more to the left and/or right of the sun. They are a halo.

Kt

o

Thank you all!

Yes KT!

Last year when I posted it,.....never knew what it was,... some of you educated me!

The sundog in the picture only shoes one half, [should be two] the other half on the left probably was there but at the time have never looked for, I think it was behind some houses.
If you google, something should come up.
Konrad

o

Thanks, KT...Konrad...

I have seen those and had no idea what I was looking at...They're pretty cool...

juanita

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here