Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to buy

Posted by firstlastbuild (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 28, 10 at 14:24

I want to purchase my fist real camera. I currently use a Sony Cybershot. I want to be able to take sports pics (baseball, basketball, soccer), wildlife and children. I have never been able to take good baseball pics. I have very limited photography knowledge at this time. I want a camera that will last because this is a splurge! I won a raffle; otherwise I would never justify the purchase. It has to be less that $500. Also, I need to know if I need an additional lense to take the pictures. Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to buy

I am looking at the Canon EOS Rebel XS DSLR with 18-55mm IS Lens. Is this a nice camera?

Thanks!

o

If you are talking about stadium photos, one of the high zoom point and shoots works well. Some venues don't allow larger cameras. You can get some great shots from the cheap seats with the new high zoom P&S's. I enjoy sports photos and have taken many.

o

I want to take sports photos of my kids--baseball, basketball, soccer and horses.

o

If you go to the DPReview site (www.dpreview.com) and click on Discussion Forums at the left, and then go to the Beginners Questions forum, you'll find lots of questions and answers about Canon DSLRs, including the one you're looking at.

Although the DPReview members consistently recommend DSLRs over every other kind of camera, I sometimes question the wisdom of that advice. Too many people think DSLRs are going to take great pictures out of the box, whereas a considerable amount of learning is almost always required to get good shots from a DSLR.

I'm concerned that you, with "very limited photography knowledge," might find a DSLR overwhelming. I have extensive experience with photography, but.........Well, here's what I wrote in answer to someone else's question recently:

After a lifetime of using 35mm SLRs, I thought I'd have no trouble adjusting to my first DSLR. Wrong! I really need to put some time into reading the manual (more than once) and working on this.

I find myself reaching for my Panasonic Lumix superzoom most of the time because I know it's going to give me the results I want. I'm not sorry I bought the DSLR; it was something I would have to do at some point. But if I could afford it, I'd also get the latest version of my Panasonic.

So....... I can recommend the Panasonic Lumix FZ35 superzoom. The price is down to around $325, and all owners I've heard from are thrilled with it.

My older model, the FZ5, is good enough to have produced images good enough to have filled two exhibits last year.

o

thanks... I purchased a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H20. I got it at Sam's, so I have 3 months to decide if I like it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here