Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canon EOS 400D and Ebay

Posted by june_nd (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 1, 07 at 14:23

Has anyone bought cameras over Ebay? I have been a little bit leary of spending that many dollars from someone I don't really know. If I decide to buy this camera maybe I should buy from a local camera shop.
Also in my other post someone mentioned shooting in the RAW image. What is this? I know what jpeg is.

June

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canon EOS 400D and Ebay

I have sold cameras on eBay, (I have a 300D listed now), but not bought a camera. I did buy a used external flash 2 weeks ago, though. Depends on their rating, and their return policy, I guess. You can get some good deals there. Another great place to look for used cameras Fred Miranda's. I'll post a link to it.
JoanMN/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Fred Miranda's buy/sell forums

o
RE: Canon EOS 400D and Ebay2

Here's another site where they buy/sell.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canon site

o

I have bought many dozens of cameras on ebay -- mostly antiques. I get ripped off 1/3 of the time by false claims about the camera's condition. Things like: "oh the SSN number carved into the bottom of the camera -- didn't think that was important." Then there's always the most abused word on ebay: MINT!!! I suspect you are less likey to encounter problems with newer equipment.

Camera RAW is a file format (differs between makers). For the pro and advanced amatuer it typically offers 16 versus 8 bit per channel storage which allows the camera to record more tonal material. It is also, as an alternative to JPEG, non destructive. In other words RAW does not damage images via compression as JPEG does.

These two qualities give the pro a higher quality image. However at a price: An image that may require 3.7 megabytes storage space as a jpeg could require 14 megabytes in RAW format. So to shoot in RAW you must invest in larger more expensive storage media. It gets worse. You can't print a 16 bit image so the RAW format photo will have to be processed down to 8 bit. Pro photogs insist on doing this by hand rather than let a computer program do it (for good reason). This takes skill and time.

The JPEGs that come out of today's consumer digital cameras are pretty darn good and for the most part the extra quality you can get from RAW doesn't warrant the effort.

Joe

o

I was afraid of buying my Rebel 400D from Ebay. I got it at Best Buy and even bought a 4 year plan if anything happens to it. I like to buy things I'm really sure of and if I'm not, I at least try to find a place I think may be reliable. Good luck on your journey. By the way, it was on sale, too.

o

I too would rather buy from a reputable store rather than EBay. My husband also bought my camera at Best Buy along with the extended warranty. You won't get that same warranty from an EBay purchase.

The Canon site is good (I'm a member) or you could try out this site (I've ordered filters from them, and most people on the Canon forum shop here too)

Here is a link that might be useful: B&H Photography

o

I buy extended warranties from Comp-U-Plus.com, Mack warranties. Cheapest place I've found them.
JoanMN/FL

o

Thanks everyone. I think I will go to either Best Buy or Ritz Camera and get mine. I was impressed with Ritz Camera tho. After you buy your camera you can take your memory card in and they will look at it and tell you what you are doing right or wrong, whichever. I thought that was a strong selling point.
Thanks again

June

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here