Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No pics, but wanted to say I fell in love ....(dilemna?)

Posted by juanital (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 9, 07 at 13:15

with the NIkon D40...You would think i should be good with new cam I got from kids for Xmas, an Olypus SP510uz...but I stopped by a cam shop run by a family...I was looking to find a tele lens for the Olympus...there in the case was the Nikon...He took it out showed me how to use it, actually let me hold it with no strings attached like at Wallyworld or CC...showed me features on it...and I knew that was the kind of cam I was looking to get...I really want it! Only I don't know how to get another one without hurting the kids feelings...Now what would you do?...Don't get me wrong, I really like Oly and they are a good P&S camera, he informed me one of best ones to hit the markets (at this time)...but how can i, what can i tell...the kids? They were just so all pleased and so was I when they presented it to me...If only I hadn't touched that Nikon...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No pics, but wanted to say I fell in love ....(dilemna?)

How's this for a plan: you send me the new cam from x-mas and tell the kids some big ugly dude in the park took off with it while you were at the park.

And, rest assured, the "big ugly guy" is great at keeping a secret. You are going to have sooo much fun with that Nikon.

o

LOL...Thanks RC...I was beginnig to feel a little stupid for posting this...I much appreciate your humor...

juanita

o
RE: Well

OK, OK, I'll spring for the shipping.

But, that's my final offer.

o

You sound rally close to your family, I might suggest waiting til the camera is a year old then think about getting it, the D40 isn't going anywhere.

I figure your kids are adults, but it might burn them a bit. Sure they will recover, but it would still suck for them.

I dont want to be in your shoes...I might actually scoop up the camera and keep it secret for like, hmmm, 8 years...I am no help.

o

Hey thanks, Rc and Joe! No help Joe, lol...

I was just so amazed how quickly it was to focus, shutter lag not bad at all, the continuous shooting, macro...The menu...very user freindly...he put another lens on by Nikkur(?), I don't remember size, but it took a nice 'across the 4-lane street, small sign on building' picture!...

o

I like Joe's idea...always a good idea to have more than one camera.

You might get more responses at the Kitchen Table forum. It's more of a family relationship question than a photography question, anyway.

o

Yeah, you need different cameras for different things, someone told my husband that, that's why I always have 3 cams (after all, guys needs more than one tool, right?). A purse cam (does the Oly fit that niche?), a smaller cam w/x12 optical (my Sony DSC-H5) that is light for when I want to attend an event (like a pow-wow, picnic or somewhere a dsl w/lenses is too heavy) and my Digital rebel and lenses (like for driving through Utah or a wildlife refuge).

JoanMN/FL

o

When I want something, I can make any excuse work...ask my wife. She has her sewing and embroidery things, I have my plants, moutain bikes, dirt bikes and camera stuff.

o

Maybe Joe should go shopping with you! :>)

o

I am the worst person to take shopping, most people aske "should I buy this?", trusting the other person will talk them out of it. Me, nope, "Do you want it? ....then get it." Of course this is after bills are paid, and you have the money. I don't believe in debt, or credit cards. My house the only load I have

o

Since we are just talking about dots here, you would think a computer program could take a three or four MB pic and up convert it to 8 or 12 fairly decently to print off larger prints. But, I've never seen one. Of course, I've never really looked for one. And, I'm sure for enough money there has to be one. But, if it was economical or very effective, you'd think some of the picture printing places would have it. Most consumer photo prints aren't exactly looking to add crucial details to spy photos.

I can't quite see why a computer can't extrapolate and "fill in the dots" to blow up low res picture fairly accurately. The outlines and colors are already there. I've got some nice 3 meg shots I'd like to print off in larger sizes, but, get the same from the printers, 'they won't blow up well from that size'. Just venting a little.

o
RE: Oops

Sorry, I meant to post this on the other thread.

o

hey that's true, Joan and Joe...I like that, It makes so much sense...Thank you guys...I think my guilt feeling just went away...Rc, no apologies needed...

o

"I am the worst person to take shopping, most people aske "should I buy this?", trusting the other person will talk them out of it. Me, nope, "Do you want it? ....then get it." Of course this is after bills are paid, and you have the money:"...Joe, that's why she should shop with YOU!. :>)
Juanita, let us know what you decide!
Joan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here