Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice please about camera purchase

Posted by happygram (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 08 at 4:32

Hello,

I recently bought a very nice point and shoot to take pictures of our new grandson. Much to my dismay, I found that by the time I get the camera in focus, I've completely lost the shot.

I was told that I'd be much better off with a digital SLR.
The two cameras I've researched are the Canon XTi and the new Nikon 40x. They both come with lenses, although I imagine those lenses aren't really great. I do have a decent older Canon lens from a previous SLR camera, and that lens would work with the XTi.

Have you any recommendation/experiences with either of these cameras so that I can finally make up my mind??? I've been dithering so long that the little guy is going to be all grown up and I won't have any good pictures!!!!!

Thanks so much.
Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice please about camera purchase

I have a Canon Digital SLR Rebel and a Nikon SLR D80, both are great cameras. I am sure either one would be a very good camera for you.

o

I love my XTi. Read the user forums on dpreview.com, and get owner's opinions of their cams.
JoanMN/FL

o

That was one of the reasons why I went DSLR.

Either way you go will be a huge step up from P&S. If your going to use old lenses, Canon will be they way to go.

o

I had the EXACT same issue deciding between those two cameras.

Image quality difference was minimal, with a nod to each camera in different areas, based on what I saw at dpreview.com.

You're already one up with Canon, since you have some glass that will work already. I DID hear that the Nikon kit lens was a bit better than Canon...

I have decided to go with the Canon XTi myself, or i MAY wait on the XSi due out in April.

The main dealbreaker for me? I went to the store and held each camera in my hands. The Canon fit better...:)

A

o

What camera do you have? First of all I would find out why you are having this problem. If you have a good P&S you should get good photos. Is it because the child is active and hard to keep in focus? Check your owners book for various settings for auto focus, some are quicker than others. Most good P&S cameras have a manual focus option just like a DSLR. For active children learn to use the fast shutter speeds to freeze the motion (you need good light for these).

I would ask anyone who advises a DSLR to explain the specific reasons spending more money is going to guarantee better photos. As a rule, DSLR's give you more options and better light sensors, not clearer or easier focusing. Just MHO.

Marnie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here