SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emmie9999

Please name your best beginner's book/class/website

emmie9999
17 years ago

Hello all:

I received a new digital camera for Christmas. It's Kodak C875. It has 8 megapixels and a 5x optical zoom. So far, I have used it to take a few pictures of my cats and samples of things for my kitchen remodel, and it is working beautifully.

I am realizing that I am not a very good photographer. I don't really know how to frame or balance a scene, I have no idea about how lighting affects things (that is until I say "oops, I wish I had more/less/different flash in that shot"), and I hesitate until I finally lose the scene I wished to capture. I find myself looking at something and saying "This would make a pretty postcard" and then taking a picture that leaves me flat somehow.

Would any of you be willing to suggest a good beginner's book or something? It may sound silly to try and learn photography from a book, but the local adult ed classes are full, and even when they start again in the summer, they don't usually deal with digital cameras. I'd like to find something that would be a good starting point for an amateur like myself. I will mostly be taking family snapshots, with the ocassional scenery shot during a vacation, or capturing pics of my favorite players at Fenway during batting practice!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Take care,

Emmie

Comments (3)

Sponsored