Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please name your best beginner's book/class/website

Posted by emmie9999 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 11, 07 at 2:21

Hello all:

I received a new digital camera for Christmas. It's Kodak C875. It has 8 megapixels and a 5x optical zoom. So far, I have used it to take a few pictures of my cats and samples of things for my kitchen remodel, and it is working beautifully.

I am realizing that I am not a very good photographer. I don't really know how to frame or balance a scene, I have no idea about how lighting affects things (that is until I say "oops, I wish I had more/less/different flash in that shot"), and I hesitate until I finally lose the scene I wished to capture. I find myself looking at something and saying "This would make a pretty postcard" and then taking a picture that leaves me flat somehow.

Would any of you be willing to suggest a good beginner's book or something? It may sound silly to try and learn photography from a book, but the local adult ed classes are full, and even when they start again in the summer, they don't usually deal with digital cameras. I'd like to find something that would be a good starting point for an amateur like myself. I will mostly be taking family snapshots, with the ocassional scenery shot during a vacation, or capturing pics of my favorite players at Fenway during batting practice!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Take care,
Emmie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please name your best beginner's book/class/website

Emmie you might like to have a look at this book by Dave Huss. I have this one in my collection of digital photography books.
I think you would be very happy with it as he takes you through the fundamentals in a manner which is easy to read and understand.

I see he also has another book that looks like it would be suitable, although I'm not familiar with it. I'll put that link here at the bottom.

There are many good books for beginners available and if you do a Google search, you'll also find websites with tutorials for using a digital camera.

Good Luck.

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Teach Yourself Visually

o
RE: Please name your best beginner's book/class/website

The Joy of Photography has always been good book

Here is a link that might be useful: Here

o
ooops

Forgot to add that The Joy of Digital Photography is also listed on that site.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here