Jan. 8, 2011

Jan. 8, 2011

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Digging out

WOW !! that's a buncha SNOW.

o

I live in Western Massachusetts and normally we would be digging out in the same manner, but fortunately we have had a super mild winter so far. On Christmas day while New York and Boston got buried we got a mere 3" and our snow removal crews were right on top of it. As soon as we had 2" they started plowing and applying salt and our roadways were bone dry within an hour. In the next week or so all of that snow melted away, save for a few piles along the curb here and there.

Two nights ago we got another 2-4", followed by another inch last night, but I have yet to see our street covered.

Normally we would get a snowfall at Thanksgving and that same snow is often still on the ground the following Easter Sunday,not to mention the additional 30" or so that builds up through the winter.

In some ways I am a bit envious of Konrad because I too would like to get out and shoot some nice snow scenics but so far the opportunity has not presented itself, but we still have a lot of winter ahead of us and their is a "Nor Easter" in the forcast for the middle of this week. When those "Nor Easters"come in off the ocean its anybodies guess what might happen. I have seen it snow 3.5" in one hour and I remember many times going to bed with dry ground only to wake up to 30-40" of snow on the ground.

Back in the 70's when I first got stationed on the air base near here one of the things that caught my eye was a 4foot long steel rod welded on all the fireplugs with a red steel penant on the top of the rod. I could not for the life of me figure out what that was for, until we got our first big snow, then I knew. I was put on a detail of men that road around the base looking for those penants, then we got off the truck and dug out the fireplugs to make sure they would be accessible in an emergency.

I guess I will just have to sit here with my camera at the ready and be patient. I am sure we will get our share before the winter is over.

o

I love looking at snow pictures. I love being in a snowy area when it's snowing. But I don't like driving in the snow, or having to shovel a walkway or driveway!

I live in the greater Sacramento, CA, area. We don't get snow (well, we have two or three times in the last 25 years), but we only need to drive about 45 minutes to an hour to be in snow country.

I'm happy to just sit here and enjoy looking at your snow photos!

o

Looks like you were well named (the Far North part). :-)

You got hammered. Amazingly, so far we have not. We have about three inches of snow on the ground now, and it's the first of the season. Like I said, pretty amazing.

o

The snow is breathtaking. We don't get snow very often in Texas. I think I'm kinda glad we don't......but I do enjoy seeing it occasionally.

o

Hi i live in quebec canada and we have had much snow we get a inch now and then we had a dumping before christmas then a warm front now it is minus 7 or 19 F I would love to get more snow so i can get out and take picture here is a picture taken last year
oak tree weeping
This one was taken this year

my front bush with snow
One more taken this year I love taken picture of the snow

o

Thank you all!
lazypup....hopefully it's your turn soon!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here