SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

Photo scanning/ editting

Debbie Downer
13 years ago

Looking for some good advice on scanning old photos � I inherited a bunch of old photos, some 100+ yrs. and having been something of an artist in the past I�m thinking I want to get into photo editing/ retouching/ creatively manipulating images in a BIG way and put it all up on flickr. I�m as fired up about this as I�ve ever been - fun!!!!!!!!!!!

Did a search of this forum and only found 1 post from 4 years ago�. Wondering if theres anything new and good out there you can recommend as far as� hardware � what scanner? Software � Adobe CS5 or what?

The old thread had something about how the home scanners don�t do as good a job as the professional � is that still the case? Why should that be � seems to me if you have the proper dpi and specs, should be just as good, no?

Re: editting. How realistic is it to think I could crop parts out of photos, enlarge, make them clearer/sharper, remove spots & splotches? What are the limits to how good you can make something look?

Finally, are there copyright issues to consider when putting stuff online? I brought this up to a guy in a copy once and he laughed at me saying, "no one is going to steal your family photos." Well, I beg to differ�. I see old vintage/ historic images on line all the time that people apparently have claimed as their own, charging a fee for them etc. and yes, I think some of mine are every bit as good and interesting as anything I�ve seen. It would infuriate me to see someone charging for MY images.

Comments (8)

Sponsored