Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving subject.

Posted by eric_wa (ejellison@rockisland.com) on
Wed, Jan 13, 10 at 14:42

Hello,

How about sharing your action shots. Camera settings etc.

Both of these pictures, the camera was set on "Set focus in anticipation of subject movement" Sony Camera.

Neither are very good. Second shot is a little better

Flying Muscovy 2

Flying Muscovy

Any ideas?

Eric

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving subject.

Duck? Or should I say Goose!! I think it's pretty good. My "action" shots always seem to end up just blurry. It would be something good to work on though. This is pretty much fun.

Beth

o

Beth,

Muscovy Duck. The only breed of duck not durived from Mallard duck.
Flying Muscovy

Need to learn more.
Eric

Here is a link that might be useful: Muscovy duck

o

Nice duck shots! I have lots of action shots, some better than others. Here are some.

Lots of geese shots, since we live on the river when we're in MN.

Egret.

Probably my favorite action shot of all, or maybe I should call it a stop-action shot.

o

Wow, what fantastic pictures!! How do you get such good shots? I have found that with my digital camera (Pentax Optio 750Z) it just doesn't take the picture fast enough. I used to use a Nikon FE, which I loved very much, but of course everything is digital now. I love being able to see the image immediately, but I miss be able to control things more. I'm guessing my camera is capable of doing a lot more than I know. You guys are getting me interested in trying to do more with photography now. Thanks.

o

I love the hummingbird! I've always wanted to get a picture of one.

I don't have very many nice action shots, but here are a couple.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

MM, you really need a camera with a shutter you can adjust. I like your shots, Lalogue.

o

I think I just used the kids and pets setting on my camera.

o

I really like the hummingbird and the bluebird? with its wings pulled in.

Photobucket

Eric

o

When I first started in photography back in the 60's all we had was manual cameras. In those days most pro's shrugged off built in light meters as a passing fade intended to provide a crutch to the amateur wanna bee's.

Even though I have obtained a fully automated digital SLR for action shots I still prefer to use manual focus lenses because with auto focus there is too much time lag as the camera proves focus before snapping the shot.

Here are a couple shots I previously posted in the birdwatching forum. Notice that I have included the full exposure data on the bottom of the prints.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

lazypup,

Those are great shots and thank you for the data.

Eric

o

Murray Mom

Out of curiosity I checked the specs on your Pentax Optio 750z. That camera is fully capable of taking the same stop action photos that I am getting with my DSLR, in fact, my Pentax *ist DL is a first generation DSLR from Pentax and in some respects your camera is more advanced than mine.

Please don't take offense but the problem is not the camera, the problem is that you presently do not understand how to get the most out of your camera.

I have been working with a couple other people who have the same problem and I would like to propose a solution. If you are willing to invest a little time and effort into learning the basics of photography I have been writing up some simple lessons, which i could email to you.

As your proceed through the lessons you could send me some sample photos of how its working out for you and I will be glad to critique them and offer you additional pointers.

Please understand that my only interest is in seeing others learn how to get as much enjoyment out of the hobby as I do. The lessons are offered free of charge or any other obligation.

If interested email me at

LazyPup@yahoo.com

o

Good action shots!
Eric, my honey bees are OK so far, none died yet in our frigid cold, but normally we're expecting around 25% loss come spring.
Agree... for birds flying, you should be able to adjust shutter
speed, in your ducks probably around 1/800 sec., something
slower moving, like this Bambi around 1/250 sec.

Aug. 15, 09

Konrad

o

Lazypup, no offense taken in the least!!! It doesn't surprise me that it's me and not the camera!! I got it awhile back just two weeks before I went to Alaska and of course had some difficulty figuring it out. However, I did and took 500 pictures, including lots of good ones. Since then I've mainly just taken pictures of my pets and things around my house.

I would LOVE to take your lessons and I'm sure that having assignments will get me back in the swing of things. Thank you so much for your kindness. I will email you directly. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here