Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I do not have a steady hand...

Posted by cookie8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 19, 10 at 12:10

And am looking to buy a new camera. Right now we have the Canon PowerShot SD600 Digital Elph which seems to be on it's last leg. It takes very clear and crisp shots on a stable surface or tripod but that rarely happens and it's me with my unsteady hands taking the pictures. I don't have the shakes or anything but I can't hold the camera still if my life depended on it. Is there a camera out there that would compensate for this? BTW, it's more like a slight sway as my pictures are always so slightly off from the subject I am trying to get and it's even worse when I zoom in. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I do not have a steady hand...

cookie8,

My Sony Camera DSC-500 has a setting called Steady Shot. You can have it on all the time or when the shutter is pressed have way down. I believe many cameras today have the stabilizer option.

Eric

o

Thanks. I have been eying the Canon sxi but my husband is telling me a point and shoot works really well and I just have to spend some time reading the manual to get to know the features. Thanks. I will check it out and see how it does once I set up that option.

o

Hi cookie8,
If you like your camera and don't particularly want to buy a new one, you might want to consider using a tripod or a "bean bag" to stabilize your camera. There are some hints about using your body to help steady the camera (take a breath and hold it while you press the shutter, place your elbows at your side when you hold the camera, lean against a tree or other object to stabilize your body,etc). It just takes some practice, but I can't say enough about using a tripod. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon

o

Cookie, a lot of cameras today have Image Stabilization (IF). I don't think it's specifically intended to help with photographer shake; it was designed to compensate for the internal shake that comes when using a long zoom. But I'm told it can help solve your problem, too.

The other BIG factor is this: Do you hold the camera out in front of you, and use the LCD screen to compose? If so, I'm sure you'll find you do a lot better if you keep the camera against your face and use a viewfinder.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here