Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
negatives

Posted by earlybirdri (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 27, 07 at 7:09

Hi,
I've never posted on this forum before, but it seems like a helpful place. I'm wondering if it is necessary to keep 35mm photo negatives these days. With all the new scanning technology, they sort of seem like a waste of space to me. Yet I'm a little hesitant to throw them all away. Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: negatives

I keep old photographs and negatives, too. We have a scanner that scans and restores pictures and I have had some very pleasant surprises to see pictures that I haven't even known existed. I don't entirely trust the digital age and worry about archiving some of the pictures. Especially those of family, and babies that have grown up in the digital camera. It's just not the same as having a negative to fall back on. Having said that, I don't know if having your digital pictures printed by a photo shop would produce negatives, too.

o
RE: negatives

Thanks for your response. After nearly throwing them all away, I retrieved them and put them in a separate box. I think I'll get a fire proof box to keep them in in case anything ever happens to the photos. I'm not much of a photographer, but this is 20 years worth of pictures of my kids, parents, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here