Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snow, night pictures, high ISO

Posted by konrad___far_north (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 15, 11 at 1:31

Since it's snowing again I wanted to practice more night shots with my Canon 7D...I put it to a high ISO 6400 setting and low shutter speed and flash on to capture the winter, snow flakes makes it stand out more this way. At minus 25C temperature [-13F] you don't want to stay out too long.
All hand held.

This is at a small park, ..not far away

Jan. 14, 2011

Front of house, back light from the street lamp.

Jan. 14, 2011

Konrad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snow, night pictures, high ISO

Ohhh, gorgeous pics!!

o

Very nice Konrad. Especially love the framing on the second one.

o

Outstanding, Konrad! Both are beautiful but the second one is excellent!

Kt

o
The day after...

Thank you all!

Here some from the day after, still snowing a bit off and on, we had about 6 inches over night, about 3 feet total now...just the beginning of winter, I never seen that much snow here, we might get a all time record this year, I love it because that would bring our all time low water table up and fill our ponds and lakes.

Jan. 15, 2011

Here is my car on the right...

Jan. 15, 2011

My honey bees cooped up...
Jan. 15, 2011

Jan. 15, 2011

o

Konrad, I just love looking at your photos!

I know "far north" is in your screen name, but I am new to this forum and don't know where that is. Where DO you live?

o

Thank you Lindsey, I had all information on my homepage, for some
reason garden web deleted everything, looks like I have to update.
I live just outside of Edmonton Alberta.

o

Goodness, yes, you are pretty far north! We live near Sacramento, California. I've never been to Canada, but I've been wanting to go for a long time. I've seen so many beautiful photos of Canada...

A trip to Canada is definitely on my bucket list! :-)

o

I do so enjoy looking at your pics. I live many many miles away where there is no snow......so I enjoy yours!

o

Konrad, I always enjoy looking at your pics too! Awesome photos. I can't seem to capture the correct settings when taking pics of snow or white flowers...what am I doing wrong?

o

The sun can play a big roll, lets say it's cloudy, then you don't see
the contour bumps etc. of the snow, ...I only like skiing when it's
sunny!..LOL.. the camera sees it the same.
Overexposing in bright sunlight could be another thing, especially white.
Not sure what camera you have, on my camera or most cameras in manual setting you can boost up things like sharpness contrast etc. If you don't have this future, you can edit a bit in a software.

Konrad

o
re: snow, night pictures, low iso

The other day it warmed up, so I could use the tripod and had more time playing around. Tripod, this of course is the preferred method to get the quality pictures,.. why?....lower ISO setting makes it not so grainy. Nevertheless, the high 6400 ISO setting used in my first pictures hand help, I was very pleased.

These were taken at around 400 ISO, I took advantage of a clear sky and the moon out.
Jan. 2011

Jan. 2011

Jan. 2011

Jan. 2011

o

In a word -- breathtaking!

Love how the snow sparkles in the first of these new photos. And what a kick it is to see the kids' slide covered with snow!!

Keep 'em coming, Konrad!!

o

Konrad, those photos are just magical. Lovely stuff there.

I've been to Edmonton twice. Our favorite restaurant is (was?) an Italian cafe called Rigoletto's.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here