Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
copanolady

Cats that will NOT adjust to new cat - please help!

copanolady
15 years ago

I hope someone can help me - I'm about to take the newcomer to the Humane Society and desperately do not want to but I'm at the end of my rope.

I have three cats all neutered, all indoor in a fairly large house. Six, sometimes 7 litter boxes are in the attached garage with access via pet door which they all use - no problem. Well, I adopted a new cat, a two year old neutered male. The problem is my other 3 simply will not accept him. They're all neutered, all from shelters or otherwise homeless. One, Dusty, a male is an Alpha cat++ about 5 yrs old. He and the other two - Natasha & Purrcilla all get along, sleep together, eat together, etc.

Now comes Pumpkin whom I adopted from Craig's List. His picture was pathetic - he was scrawny, his coat was sparse and all the fur on his nose was gone and scabby, even a little bloody. I took him to the vet and had him checked out before I exposed him to my other (healthy) cats. It turned out he had a mosquito allergy which was treated - $450., and he's a fine healty (indoor) cat now.

He and Dusty have had fights off and on - some serious. I expected that but not so intense. One was so serious that when I intervened, I noticed Dusty had some blood on his muzzle and his eye was watering - took him to the vet and he's on anti-biotics - another $150. Also Purrcilla is terrified of him and he does stalk her. She's afraid to go to the litter boxes because he'll chase her - so you know what happened - she peed on the living room carpet and of course, though I've used every cleaner, repellent, spray known to man, she is fixated on that spot. There's enzyeme cleaner and bubble wrap on it now. I really could just cry.

He's very loving (to me) and I don't want to give him up but I want my happy, peaceful home back!

He's in an upstairs bathroom with food, water and litter box right now and I'm at my wit's end. I'm a VERY experienced cat owner but don't know what to do. Please help with any suggestions. I forgot to mention - I adopted him about two weeks before Halloween (he's solid black & I was afraid who might take him at that time of year) but it's been almost three months! Most cats adjust after three or four weeks. I'm desperate, please help.

Comments (13)

• shaun
    15 years ago

I hope you find an answer to this problem.

I just wanted to comment that I adopted a kitty named Pumkin thru Craigslist too. Isn't that funny?

• pamghatten
    15 years ago

Sorry for your troubles .. I'm not expert. But from your post it doesn't sound like you kept the new cat isolated at all to get used to a new home, and then slowly introduced him tot he new pack.

Whenever I bring a new cat into the house, I put them in my spare bedroom for a day or 2 alone with the door closed. The other cats can then come up to the door and sniff underneath it.

Then I put a screen door in place of the closed door, so the cats can all see and smell each other, and go nose-to-nose without being able to really touch each other.

Sounds like you just let the new cat loose in an established cat family. Sorry, but I can see why you are having problems. The fact that they are fighting and one got hurt is really not good.

Either you need to start the process all over again, as I mentioned above ... or find that poor new cat another new home.

Read thru some of the posts on here, there are a lot of posts that talk about introducing a new cat into a family that already has pets.

FYI .. I have 2 dogs and 5 cats in my home.

• copanolady
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, you're right Pamghatten, I should have known better. I don't have a screen door so I'm not sure how to try something else like that - but that would be ideal. I am trying to start over, so to speak. Another odd thing is, it seemed better in the beginning - occassionally, Dusty and he would sleep nearby each other (a few feet away) with no incident. Then suddenly one would attack the other and the other two would run and hide.

I feel stupid not introducing them more slowly - Not sure if I can undo the "emotional" damage.

To Shaun - that is a coincidence - I hope the former owner for your kitty was more honest than mine about his agressiveness towards other cats. She told me he was outside because he didn't get along with her older cat and that she was desperate to find a new home because of his mosquito allergy (which was true) and because her BF's dog was bullying him and he was scared of the dog. I still want to cry.

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    15 years ago

First I want to praise you for doing soooo much for Pumpkin!! You are to be commended!

and second... I am in the same situation.. after 8 LONG months. The 2 shelter cats live upstairs (litter boxes, toys, food, etc). We are keeping the resident (just over 12 year old Calico) downstairs.. However, it is our old cat who is the aggressor. So the situation is different. Things have slightly improved, as our Calico seldom now goes up to pick a fight. Fights were never to the point of needing vet's care.. though, however scary they sounded!
    We, too, would love our peace back.

Is there any chance you could allow Pumpkin a little more room upstairs?

I think Pumpkin may still remember he was a full male just a few months ago....depending on when he was neutered. Have you tried to place a litter box just for Purcilla in a 'safe' corner , with no associations with Pumpkin? If she does not overcome her fear, then you may have to try to find a home for Pumpkin, before the shelter.

By the way, have you tried Feliway (plug-in or spray)? Rescue Remedy (to calm her down)? Some people report good results! Have tried both. Not conclusive.
    I know how heartbreaking this may be.
    Don't feel guilty (yah.. she said! easier said than done), but you have to think about your 3 other cats!
    Best of luck,
    Anne-Marie

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    15 years ago

Did not get a chance to read previous 2 messages before sending mine (was in the process of responding). Just want to add that we did a very slow introduction approach, and it did not work. Maybe because of the age difference.. New cats were just too active for our quiet lady! Or just that females have a harder time?
    Again, good luck,
    Anne-Marie

• iloveexercise
    15 years ago

Hi,I'am in your situation as well.Well,kind of.One of my cats has excepted the Newbie and one hasnt.
    The one that hasnt though,quitely frankly hates all other cats with a passion,so I'm not sure he will ever accept him.It's werid because he is good with other animals,even dogs.He just HATES cats.
    Anyways,the kitten attacks him and jumps on his back and there will be a ton of growling and hissing.The kitten just will not leave my seinor alone.I've gotten so I've started scolding him for it,and my seinor runs to me like I'm saving his life,LOL.

It has been two to three months here,and the only thing that really helps is keeping the kitten preoccupied.If he is playing with something,it seems like he'll back off.But as soon as he gets bored,it's stalk my seinor cat time.

I have also heard of the Feliway (plug-in or spray) and am thinking of trying it.
    Right now I give my seinor these treats I got from Petsmart called Petease.It's supposed to calm them.It seems to help make him more relaxed when the kitten is around.
    Good luck~we are all in this together and it is hard to deal with!

• pmkgero1
    15 years ago

As a foster mommie to kitties and cats, this is very frustrating. Some just will not want to adjust and others are very happy to the new friend. I can take a very long period of time. I had one baby that I could finally pet after 8 months, it's just amazing. First, basically room off the new baby. They can sniff under the door and hear each other without the fight. I do this for 2 weeks-as long as a month. I've used baby gates in the door ways, looks goofy using three of them to keep them confined, but it works. I had one cat that could leap over 3 of them and think nothing of it. Never leave them alone unattended if you are out of the home at any time (or bed time). I've gone as far as to give little room time or play time for acouple of hours during the day. It's hard and you think your being mean. But your not, it just takes time to make freinds. Think of it this way, would you like it if someone thrust you into a room of unknown claws and teeth!? Do the entire process very slowy, your baby may come around, it just takes time.

• copanolady
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement - it DOES help to not feel alone with this problem.

Pumpkin was only put in the upstairs bathroom yesterday when I decided I just couldn't risk any more injuries. It's a big bathroom though, with his bed, food & water in the double vanity area and his litter box in the potty/tub area. I tried to screen off the doorway but I only had a very large window screen which he immediately jumped over, so that didn't work.

I've gone in to love him and he starts purring. It's so sad. The Humane Society here only makes appointments as space is available and you can only call Monday, Wed or Friday between 8:30 and 10:30. I'll admit, I don't want them to answer but I feel I have to make the call.

Regarding age, Dusty is only 5 or 5 1/2 years old, Natasha about 4 and Purrcilla is 3 years old, so they're all youngish. I still have high hopes - I know this palls in comparison to "people problems" of which this past year has held many for me and my family but I still ask for those of you who love animals, especially homeless cats and believe in prayer to add a little footnote to your prayers for us. Thanks.

• runsnwalken
    15 years ago

Cats never really are pack animals like dogs so its really a hit and miss if you get them to get along. Its been 4 months sense we've interduced Bindi to Monty and Monty is still being fought, he has an abcess he is healing from.

• William Kyle
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have a 7 year old cat new to the family and 3 other cats the 7 year old had him 6 months and the cats will not adjust to him he is so scared he will not use the cat box only if you lock him in a room by himself then he will use the cat box he is loving but the minute he see's a cat he goes crazy and runs after the other cats and fights them i got bit once trying to break up the fight and the cat drew blood after biting me now i am scared to let the other cats go near him because he bites to win the new 7 year old cat is adopted cat but he will not adjust at all, i call animal shelters for help got no were with that, i called around to give him to a animal shelters they will not take him even the no kill animal shelters will not take him what can i do?

when i got him he was fine week later cat from hell he lives in a room by himself because he doesn't get along with others my sister's daughter tried to love him and he tried to bite her so now he lives in the room with cat box, food, water and toys and i have to use a met to give him loves, i took him to the vet they found nothing wrong so again what can i do no one will help??? we donate 5,000 dollars a year to animal shelters and when i ask for help they say they will help me for $100.00 dollars, and if i want them to take him $100.00 dollars to take him, so i got a cat that is 7 years old cat that bites if you try to love him will attack other animals and will attack children and no vet or animal shelters will help me fix the problem or take him, can anyone help me out?

• Debbie Downer
    8 years ago

Hello William, its not clear from your post what's happening - in your first paragraph you write that he is loving when he's by himself with no other cats around, and then in the second paragraph he's biting people - is this a sister's daughter a child? Sadly you don't know what happened in his other life - could be children mistreated him.

And sadly, often the more insecure and scared an animal is (again you don't know what kind of past hes had) the more they may be aggressive to other cats - cats still have a bit of the wild in them, and in the wild they would be competing for food and resources if these are scarce. If this cat came from a shelter, some have a harder time than others - animals know when they're not wanted, if their people have given them away and some may need an extra amount of love and reassurance before they start to relax and show their true personalities.

And its sad too that shelters are so over burdened with unwanted animals and that you can't get assistance from them when you need it

What I want to say is that you may be the person who may be in the best position to do right by this cat. If you look for a home for him then you are in the best position to be able to tell possible adopters things they really need to know - like he needs to be the only cat , in a home without children (if its children specifically he's having a problem with - not clear from your post ). The shelter you adopted him from should have provided you this type of information but for whatever reason did not.

I have been in the situation of finding homes for stray or unwanted cats many times ... Word of mouth amongst friends coworkers and acquaintances is the best for a situation like this.-Otherwise, there's a way to screen people and be sure of a good match. In this situation you don't want first come first served - you want to know that its a situation that he'll do well in. If someone gets huffy about your screening them, then too freaking bad. The person you want understands why you're doing it, and I've also found that if YOU care about the cat, that appeals to people and they're more likely to want to adopt from you - Just be honest, be his advocate, make it clear that this cat has had a difficult time of it, that you want him to be in a place where he fits in and will do well, you want to be sure his next home works out, and of course along with the explanation of why he would do better in another home dont forget to point out his good qualities ( you did say he was loving right?)

(BTW is he declawed? Declawed cats do sometimes become biters because they have no other defense. You and/or the adopter would need to learn to read his signals when he's had enough - ears flattened back, tense look on face - before he resorts to biting.) I hope this helps - I know from personal experience its a very difficult situation.

• Debbie Downer
    8 years ago

PS, I replied as I did because it sounded like finding a new home was the route you were wanting to go. If you were asking more about how to work this out between the cats please let us know (Feliway, making proper introductions, keeping cats separate but switching them all around into different rooms instead of banishing one to solitary confinement in the same room - etc.)