Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue36_gw

Any experience or familiarity with Irish Water Spaniels?

sue36
14 years ago

I have been considering adding a dog to our fur family (we have two cats). Unfortunately, I am allergic to most dogs. I don't want to abandon this idea, so I have been researching my options. Haired (rather than furred) dogs are not hypoallergenic, but I am less allergic to them. I've been researching the dogs on the "haired" list. I love Standard Poodles, DH not so much. Portugese Water Dogs are out. I am all too familiar with what happened to Dalmations after 101 and 102 came out. We prefer a medium to large dog. The Irish Water Spaniel might be an option, but they are pretty rare and information is hard to come by. I don't know if I've ever seen one. Going to a dog show isn't an option (I can't test my allergy when there are furred dogs around to taint the test), so I plan to contact the only breeder (that I am aware of) within a 6 hours drive and hope she will humor me. But before I do this, I want to learn as much as I can preferably from people with hands on experience (owners, vets, pet sitters and walkers). PLEASE, if you can give me any insight into this breed, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Comments (2)