Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any experience or familiarity with Irish Water Spaniels?

Posted by sue36 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 1, 09 at 23:08

I have been considering adding a dog to our fur family (we have two cats). Unfortunately, I am allergic to most dogs. I don't want to abandon this idea, so I have been researching my options. Haired (rather than furred) dogs are not hypoallergenic, but I am less allergic to them. I've been researching the dogs on the "haired" list. I love Standard Poodles, DH not so much. Portugese Water Dogs are out. I am all too familiar with what happened to Dalmations after 101 and 102 came out. We prefer a medium to large dog. The Irish Water Spaniel might be an option, but they are pretty rare and information is hard to come by. I don't know if I've ever seen one. Going to a dog show isn't an option (I can't test my allergy when there are furred dogs around to taint the test), so I plan to contact the only breeder (that I am aware of) within a 6 hours drive and hope she will humor me. But before I do this, I want to learn as much as I can preferably from people with hands on experience (owners, vets, pet sitters and walkers). PLEASE, if you can give me any insight into this breed, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any experience or familiarity with Irish Water Spaniels?

My suggestion. Go spend some serious time with a local breeder of any dog breed you are interested in. My neighbors kid was highly allergic to our dogs, after 2 years of constant exposure and a ready dose of benedryl, she has completely outgrown her allergy and now owns two dogs. HOWEVER, some people can get worse with time. SO please put yourself in the environment of the dogs first, spend time with them hanging out with them for a couple of months at least before you adopt. Giving a dog back can be heart break for you and hard on a dog. Good luck

o
RE: Any experience or familiarity with Irish Water Spaniels?

Unfortunately there are no breeders near me. From what I've determined the closest one is about 3 hours away, and I'm not sure they are still active. There are only 125 puppies registered every year (compared to 60k Goldens). I wouldn't get a dog if I was allergic to it. I know I won't outgrow the allergy, I'm over 40 and have had allergies since I was 6. Thanks for the suggestions, I was just hoping someone had hands on experience with their personality.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here