Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need something soothing for scratched spots

Posted by bizabet (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 1, 10 at 21:57

My cat will be off to the doc on MOn to have the radioactive iodine treatment for his hyperthyroid. WE took him off the tapazole on monday but he is STILL digging his poor face! I thought it would be getting better but it seems to be worse, even tho he is on a steroid. Is there anything non medicated--like an oatmeal rinse or saline or something--that I can do to ease him? I'm really worried about an infection.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need something soothing for scratched spots

I believe Benedryl makes a spray for bug bites. It is topical. Check with your vet first though. Maybe you can spray some onto your fingers, and then rub it on your kitty's face? Poor thing. Cats do lick their paws and then rub their faces, so make sure it is okay with your vet. Has the vet suggested an antihistamine like benedryl yet?

o

I'm so glad you're having the I-131 treatment on Monday and that he's off the Tapazole. To make sure that you don't put anything on him that may interact or interfere with the I-131, you should call the radioiodine clinic and describe the scratching and sores to them. Follow their advice regarding any treatment of the sores and itching. That way you'll know that any treatment is compatible with the I-131.

Laurie

o

Some people say that green tea bags help - just soak the teabags in warm water until they are soft, then wipe the affected areas with the wet bags or use them as a compress. Shouldn't have any interactions or side effects.

Hope the treatment goes well and your cat gets better quickly!

o

Bagbalm.

o

Get a product/spray called Calm Coat - this is a miracle for animals - check the site below.

I have a 12-yr. old border collie who gets hot spots - he and I went nuts trying everything to relieve the itch.

During my research, I found wonderful testimonials for this product - ordered it online and wahlaaaa - it WORKS - itching gone!

NO - I don't work for nor represent this company - just use the product.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calm Coat for animals

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here