Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dianamo_1

Dog still has fleas after using Frontline Plus..

dianamo_1
14 years ago

Two weeks ago, I gave my dog a bath and then applied Frontline Plus between his shoulder blades.

He is a large dog and VERY hairy.

I've been noticing him scratching more and more on a daily bases and took a good look at him today. He was covered in fleas! So I gave him another bath today and this time used flea shampoo.

Now after the bath and blowdry...I'm STILL seeing the feas especially on his underside.

My question is:

Would it be alright to give another dose of Frontline Plus? Or should I try something else? I don't want to over-medicate him.

Comments (27)

• annzgw
    14 years ago

I don't have a packet in front of me, but I believe instructions say not to bathe the pet 48 hrs before or after applying the product. It doesn't work as well if applied too soon after a bath since much of the pet's body oils have been removed.
    Frontline does not kill fleas immediately so your dog is going to need help from you to keep the fleas under control in his environment.
    I wouldn't dose him again since is been only 2 weeks and he also got a recent treatment from the shampoo.

Since fleas returned so quickly, it sounds like you need to also treat the area the dog stays in and all bedding.

The following article has some good suggestions for getting control of the pests! Note that there are 5 pages..........

Here is a link that might be useful: fleas

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

The treatments that you squeeze on take time to work so it wont happen instantly. If he is really infested then the spray on frontline works well to knock the numbers down but I would check with the vet if it's ok to use now that you've started treatment.

"Now after the bath and blowdry...I'm STILL seeing the feas especially on his underside. "

fleas will do that, as soon as you started bathing him they would be running for cover so they'll head to the stomach and groin, inside ears, the head, armpits etc to get away from the water.

You also need to treat the house because fleas will hop off and lay their eggs around the place and the cycle continues.

I'd suggest this time round, you book him in to a groomer for a flea treatment, and while he is there you can flea bomb the house at the same time. If he is covered in them then they will be elsewhere in the house too and probably in fairly good numbers.

you also need to wash his bedding in hot water and if you can do it all at the same time then you'll get rid of most of them but it can take a bit of persistence to get rid of all the fleas and the eggs.

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

"I am guessing that because of his long fur it may take longer to kill the fleas on his body. I hate to shave him down because the weather has turned bitterly cold. "

the long hair does makes it easier for them to hide. You dont need to shave him down though, groomers will have a few different products that they use depending on how bad the flea problem is and if you are still seeing lots of fleas the shampoo may not be strong to do the job properly and many of them only work for very minor flea problems.

With the frontline spray you can target them directly, it is a really good product for severe flea problems, as soon as you see some fleas you can squirt them and that stuff really knocks them down - its smell god awful but it is strong stuff and it really works.

Vaccumming the carpet twice a day will definitely help, especially to collect to up eggs. They are nasty things especially when get you a bad outbreak.

• Meghane
    14 years ago

I have huskies on frontline plus and no fleas.

The frontline must be applied 48 hours before or after a bath as already mentioned.

You also must apply it directly to the skin, which is difficult but not impossible in longer/thicker furred dogs. It helps to divide the dose among several places on the dog's back, rather than in one area. Otherwise it tends to get absorbed into the fur and it doesn't work.

The fleas you see on the dog represent only 5% of the fleas you actually have. The other 95% are immature stages throughout the home. You *have* to treat the environment in order to get rid of those immature stages and the fleas that are not yet on your dog.

• mazer415
    14 years ago

The trick is to find out where your dog is getting the fleas from...and tackle the problem there. Once flea application is applied, it is good for 30 days, unless incorrectly applied. Wait 24 hours before or after a bath before applying....good luck

• woodinvirginia
    14 years ago

Are you sure they are Fleas???? This year in particular a lost of people have mistaken Scabies infection (incessant scratching by pets) as a sign of fleas when it is actually a mite infection. Especially if your pet does not take Heartguard medication. One of the side effects of HG medication is that it keeps the mites in check.

Would check with my VET BEFORE overdosing or getting any other treatments.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sarcoptic Mange

• frank1965
    14 years ago

Your vet can also give you CAPSTAR that will kill the fleas within about half and hour I think. It is a tablet and works for 24 hrs I think. You might get several- it's kinda expensive though but will help him with all the scratching immediately. You will still have to deal with them in the environment. When you board at my vet they give them one right away to stop all the other animals from getting infested. Just a thought.

• michael_so_fl
    14 years ago

One thing some of us should know is by vaccuuming up the fleas is what do you do with the vaccuum after you are done. If you are not getting rid of the bag permanently then the fleas are going to reinfest the house.If you are parking the vaccuum in a closet with the same bag that you just used then they are leaving the vaccuum.The vaccuum does not kill the fleas or the eggs, change the bag and get it out of the house.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    14 years ago

I had a problem with Frontline on my dogs as well. As it turned out, I bought this Frontline from a pet store and it was bogus. Only had water in it. I told my vet that I had fleas after using Frontline and she asked if I had bought it from them. She could return it and get a refund for me. I told her where I got it and she said that bogus product was showing up and it was just water in it. I got more from my vet and had no problems after that.

• petaloid
    14 years ago

We use Comfortis tablets, from the vet, which are a bit costly but worth it.
    One dose (with a meal, to avoid an upset tummy) keeps fleas off our dogs for at least a month, and the tablets are formulated to taste like a treat.
    Any fleas in the environment that jump on the dogs perish, so the house and yard remain flea-free.

• dianamo_1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

UPDATE:

I ended up waiting two more weeks before I put another dose of Frontline on him. He seems much better now. I think our problem was he has soooo much hair and maybe I hadn't gotten the first dose all the way down to his skin like it says in the directions.

• radio2kool_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

you cant bath ur dog 3 days prior to using frontline or 3 days after. and when u do bathe him u cant use flea shampoo. u have to use a non medicated kind or it prevents the frontline from working. u have ro use like a non soa, i cant remember exactly but theres an oatmeal shampoo u can use. u can never use any medicated soap at anytime and can use the other oatmeal kind as long as its more than 3 days prior to applying frontline or more than 3 days after.

• Oldprincess
    9 years ago

Never use those expensive pesticides on your precious pet.
    Organic diatomaceous earth is safe, non toxic, inexpensive and will keep all your pets and your home free of insects. No ants or silver fish, no spiders, no bugs whatsoever! We have three large hairy dogs and three cats and no pests. Every six months I sprinkle organic DE under pillow and chair sofas and that is enough to prevent all insects from attacking our pets. Once a month in summer I also add a teaspoon of DE to the dog and cat coats for extra insurance.
    I bought organic DE to prevent lice on chickens years ago and have never had to buy insecticides since.

• tpepper
    9 years ago

We have 4 dogs, and had used Frontline in the past with success. We got complacent and let the monthly applications lapse. When I realized there was some flea activity on the dogs, I purchased Adams Pentagon at Costco since it was so much less expensive. Long story short...it was TOTAL waste of money! I went on an all out offensive...bathed the dogs, washed all their (and our) bedding, vacuumed and steam mopped the floors and set off a few foggers - all on the same day! I also purchased the oral medication Comfortis (Rx). I also switched back to Frontline and to problem wasn't a total infestation, but there was obvious active flea activity on the dogs. ok the Adams stuff back to Costco for a full refund, which they were very decent about.

Bottom line...if you have a serious problem, get on top of it fast. And I highly recommend a dual pronged approach (Comfortis and Frontline) to get ahead of the problem...then stay on top of it.

• pjanedapain
    9 years ago

I found giving my cat a teaspoon or half a cap of Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with quarter cup of water via an oral syringe few times a day has kept the fleas away permanently. Originally was to heal his cystitis, which it did within a week, but noticed the amazing affects it has had on his coat soft and shiny better than ever. Now I give him ACV daily either via oral syringe (ACV mixed with water) or just add some to his tuna, which he loves and doesn't notice the ACV in it. I recommend you give it a go as I have read on other web sites how many others have used this natural and inexpensive way to treat their cats and dogs and have had much success. :)

• hayleydaniels
    9 years ago

Try rinsing your dog with a mild solution of Borax, the laundry aid stuff.

• Robin Benson
    3 years ago

Frontline is very expensive and has always worked for the 20 years I have been using it. I have flea bombed my house twice now, washed every single piece of material blankets sheets pillow cases clothes, and put Frontline on my dog and sprayed our yards twice now, front and back and we still have fleas. I want my money back for the Frontline. I don't know what you guys have changed in your product but it doesn't work anymore. My dog hasn't had fleas in 7 years but my mom brought over a dog that did have fleas and now for two and a half months I've been trying to get rid of them and can't. I have given my dog two doses of Frontline between his shoulder blades and I have bombed my house twice washed every single thing that can fit in the washer or the dishwasher or I wash it in the sink including my laundry. I mean it seems like every fast food restaurant. You have a quality product and then you start cheapening it and cut cost and now their food is shit and now your product is also. Sorry that's the only comparison I could think of. But it fits. My name is Robin Benson my email a address is RB 19244 @gmail .Com my phone number is 510-228-5117. If somebody doesn't contact me or get back to me I'm going to go on social media for help and it's probably not going to look good for you. I want some answers and I want some results! By the way I have had my dog for 8 years and he is only had fleas twice and that's only because somebody brought their dog over that had fleas. So this is the third time 8 years. And every other time I can get rid of fleas by using Frontline and flea bombing my entire house and then washing every single piece of material blankets pillow cases you name it clothing... And the Frontline is not working. The house was nice and flea free but the dog is still scratching. And then those fleas jump on me. I think it is your responsibility to backup your product and contact me. I mean you absolutely obviously change something in your product so it doesn't work anymore but you still charge the same price. I cannot keep affording to throw away a hundred and something dollars on a product that doesn't work. Please contact me. I don't want to go to social media and Bash you I really don't I'd rather get rid of these damn fleas

• Robin Benson
    3 years ago

gI don't want to have to go on social .com I don't want to have to go on social media to try and get results but I don't have the money right now to throw away on a product that is like putting water on my dog. I already have a hose. Please contact me either by phone or email or I will go online and try and get some help there and it's not going to look good for you guys. I don't want to go that route

• HU-282645099
    3 years ago

Yes i agree with Robin , my dog picked up the fleas from the vets and i have used frontline for about 4 months .My dog is still itching and still has fleas ,washed all bedding just the same thing with no results . I have used frontline years ago when i had 7 dogs and it worked very well ,but not anymore . I have just thrown money away purchasing this product .

• Kim S
    2 years ago

#1 This post is from 2009
    #2 Houzz is social media
    #3 The company that makes Frontline will never see this, so don't expect anyone to contact you

• Alice Edwards
    2 years ago

I realize this is old post.....but.....we have 9 cats and have very good luck controlling the fleas indoors with Victor flea traps, anyone here having problems should consider trying them

• JustDoIt
    2 years ago

Is the dog still alive?

• Alice Edwards
    2 years ago

Right?

• HU-693626892
    2 years ago

the instructions clearly tell you not to bathe the dog the day before, of or after treatment.

and if youd double dose your dog on a pesticide, you shouldnt have a dog.

• Sarah Baxter
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

This is me today. I have always used DE powder as mentioned earlier, we have hardfloors throughout. I have hoovered and bathed Amos I am OCD so hoover 2-3 times a day, have washed his bedding hoovered sofas and reluctantly frontline plus applied to him 4 days ago. I have been flea combing him head to toe outside and still I keep finding 2-3 adult fleas? We have a large garden he freely roams in and foxes and squirrels are present most days. This is driving me mad, never had fleas before on Amos because the usual precautions with DE work. Any suggestions?

• Stax
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

"never had fleas before on Amos because the usual precautions with DE work. Any suggestions?"

Yes. Go back to the DE.

Flea control must be a multi-faceted approach. I have used Frontline Top Spot for decades and never had fleas... that proves nothing about Topspot. No more than your dog having fleas proves anything about Topspot.

You must get rid of the fleas and then see if the Frontline is able to control a subsequent infestation.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm