Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Update: Dog Chicken Jerky problems

Posted by weed30 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 28, 11 at 19:49

Sick dogs

I don't buy dog treats unless they are made in the USA anymore. Not that the USA is perfect, but chances are better that your dog will not get sick and/or die. Actually I am going to start making my own treats - there are many recipes on the net - Jerky, biscuits, etc. I will take advantage of "super sales" at the grocery store for poultry, beef, pork, etc. I feel so bad for those whose dogs got sick or died :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Update: Dog Chicken Jerky problems

I read the article. Thanks for the info! I had some chicken jerky treats for my dogs. It has not made them sick, but since they were in jars after I opened the package I didn't know where they had come from, so I just threw them away. Thankfully my dogs haven't got sick because of any treats.

o

I have read about this too, but not seen a problem (yet). Interestingly nearly ALL dried chicken treats for dogs are made in China (have seen 5 different brands now at different stores- all from China). All beef treats from the USA.

o

They put melamine in milk powder intended for human consumption in 2008 (made international headlines) and AGAIN in 2010. I hate to say it, but if they'll risk the health & safety of human children to increase profits then why not pets?

Disclaimer - I visit China 2-3x/yr on business & really appreciate the people I work with, I'm not trying to bash them but their values are not the same as the US when it comes to this sort of thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here