Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ninapearl_gw

if pigs could talk

Ninapearl
10 years ago

"i stay in warm straw bed, poke my nose out from under blanket, mom brings me food. after i eat, mom gives me a bowl of warm kool-aid. i like grape the best!"

pigs are pretty darn smart, if you ask me!!!

Comments (11)

• spedigrees z4VT
    10 years ago

It's a tough life but someone's got to live it!

• christine1950
    10 years ago

They would say "I've got you trained well Maaaa" Is that Arnold I see on the side?
    Christine

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    10 years ago

That's so funny to hear that they like warm Kool Aid. I never would have guessed that.

They are very smart and so I think they would say "Thank you, Mom, you are the best"!!!

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yes, christine, that's arnold. :)

there is actually a method to my madness. my pigs get warm kool-aid after each meal all winter long. on the days i am not working, they get some around noon. this way, i know they are getting plenty to drink. they always have water available but they don't drink as much in the cold months. once or twice a week, they get warm prune juice to keep their innards moving along. a constipated pig is a very unhappy pig! LOL

• User
    10 years ago

I like grape the best, too! Glad to see your piglets are enjoying the good life this winter. : )

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    10 years ago

Was this in a "How to Raise a Happy Pig" manual, or how did you figure this out? It seems perfectly logical, but how did you come up with this idea?

• socks
    10 years ago

How cold does it get where you are? I would think that without fur on their bodies, they would have trouble staying warm. I'm thinking they should have electric blankets. :-)

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL electric blankets, huh? heck, i don't even have that luxury! it gets plenty cold here, we've had nights down in the single digits but during the winter, i build shelters inside the barn out of straw bales for them. they lay in a 4-pig pile so they stay plenty warm. :)

mm, i actually started giving them warm prune juice (yuck!) during the winter months just to make sure they didn't get constipated. they LOVE it. i figured if they loved prune juice, they'd probably love other flavors so i alternate. it's funny to watch them, they slurp it up until every drop is gone. i know they are getting enough liquid that way even though they also have water that is heated.

on sunny days, even in the coldest temps, they will lay in a pile in the sun just inside the barn entrance.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    10 years ago

I love that!! As long as they have alternatives to in and out, the pigs know what they want. They are smart, after all. :) I used to worry about my horse, Teddy, being outside all winter, but he and his buddies love it. They have long hair and cuddle up when they need it. They roll and play in the snow. They are happy!! Just like your pigs!! I think sometimes we forget that they are animals and have what they need to withstand the cold.

• socks
    10 years ago

It is amazing that they adapt to the cold temperatures. Those 4-pig piles help a lot.

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the only animals i never worried much about were my llamas. their wool kept them warm even in the most bitter temps.

the pigs do fine being outside. the straw in their pig palace is deep enough that they can pretty much bury themselves and you just see little snouts sticking out. :)