Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I administer saline nasal drops for kitten?

Posted by glaserberl (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 5, 10 at 18:41

Took Mr. Bigglesworth (8 week old kitten) to the urgent care vet today. He has an URI and is really congested. He got a Convenia shot and I'm supposed to give him a drop of saline solution in each nostril a couple times a day. I bought the infant drops because I thought the tip would be smaller but that is not the case. I can get the solution on the outside of his nostrils but there is no way it is going to go in. Any tips?
Thank you
Katharina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I administer saline nasal drops for kitten?

I use saline with nebulizer...not sure if you can get one ASAP.
You can also get a vaporizer at a drugstore - will help the kitten breathe better/get rid of mucus..

o

Just a regular vaporizer like the Vicks Vaporizer? Do you use the menthol stuff with it?

o

No, don't use the menthol.

o

Yup, regular vaporizer. Put the kitten in a carrier next to one, cover up with a towel, and let it steam up.
I do not use menthol.

Convenia should definitely help, I have seen URI with congestion respond well to it. In the meantime, and you probably know that, make sure he eats. One congested and not smelling food, kittens start refusing to eat and go downhill fast. If you have to, forcefeed - I had to forcefeed a litter for a week just recently because of the bad URI going around..

Good luck! Keep the little guy warm and well fed :)

o

Yes, his appetite hasn't been great. I have been offering him food several times a day. He'll eat a little bit at a time. The other cats are eating raw and I started him on it when we brought him home. Today I hit the winning combo. Mixed the raw with some KMR (wanted to add more calories) and pureed it. He ate more of it in one sitting than probably all day yesterday.
I'll try the vaporizer and hopefully it will make breathing a bit easier.
Poor little guy. He still purrs as soon as I pick him up.
Katharina

o

My little gal was 7 weeks old, skin and bones and a horrible URI when DS found her. The covenia shot helped her feel a little better but the congestion continued. The vet then tried clavamox and after that didn't help he seemed to have run out of ideas except to suggest we start doing lots of tests.

Instead of tests I decided to take her to a cat clinic and they started her on a compounded Azithromycin. They also discovered she had an ear infection and giardia. After less than 48 hrs on the new med she was a different cat and has been healthy ever since.
So glad I switched vets!
Sorry I'm no help on the nasal drops. Just wanted to stress that if you see no improvement don't hesitate to ask for (or seek) other options.

Be sure to heat the food to make it more appetizing for kitty.

o

We will go back to my reg vet if there is no improvement. Today we went to the urgent care. (I didn't know we had that until recently. Open seven days a week from 8:00-8:00, and a whole lot cheaper than the emergency vet). The vet told me that the URI is most likely a virus that has to run it's course and that often they get a bacterial infection with it. That's where the Convenia comes in. We will watch for a couple days and go from there.
As to the saline, I got inventive. I had a small syringe for giving meds from some time ago. I sucked a little saline in and then very slowly pushed a drop out onto kitty's nostril. At least some of it went in.

o

Biggles is much better this morning. Ate with gusto and is showing signs of wanting to play and explore. Still a bit congested but nor nearly as bad as yesterday.

o

The easiest way I have found to alleviate congestion in felines is to put them in a steamy bathroom for 15-30 mins twice daily. It's best to feed them immediately following a steam treatment while their nasal passages are clear.

Glad to hear the kitten's feeling better today.

Laurie

o

Glad to hear he is feeling better!

o

Oh good! Looking forward to hearing about his escapades.

o

He seems to have taken a liking to my mouse cable and the cord on the calculator. I'm so happy that he finally has an interest in his surroundings and is starting to act like a kitten. He still sounds like he needs ti blow his nose, but is eating well without me cajoling him with smearing food on his mouth or licking it of my finger.
Katharina

o

Yeah! Mr. Biggelsworth gained 3.25 ounces since Sunday. Looking a lot less scrawny.
He plays a lot now and eats like a horse.

Photobucket

o

Super cute.

o

Oh, he's so cute! I mean in a rough, tough, scary way, of course.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here