Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oh please help

Posted by auntnete (gafoodies706@aol.com) on
Tue, Dec 8, 09 at 18:12

This is my first experience with any type of indoor pet. We have an 18 month old puggle that is spoiled rotten. Barely house broken and rules our home. I know it is our fault. We have a 10 month old lab/shep mix that is the best dog you could meet. She was house trained in 2 days, great personality.

We had her about a month when I had a stroke. I have been home 24/7 with the exception of doctor visit and we have become very close. It is starting to get cold in Georgia and Saturday was my first day of being out of the house since my stroke.

She has started going to the bathroom in the house. For the past two days, she will go outside and run and play and come inside and go potty. What on earth could have happened? What should I do? She has a skin allergy and just started on oral meds last week after being on injections.

Can anyone help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oh please help

She could be on prednisone or other steroid. If she is, they drink and pee more than usual. So which dog is doing this? The little one or the big one.

o

It is the big young puppy that is doing this. The older little puggle (Keelie) has done it all the time. I can't think of the name of the meds but you are right she is drinking a LOT more. But to go out side, the door still be open and to come in and do #1 and #2 is so not like the big dog...(Josh)

The only side effect the vet mentioned was that she would be sleepy and boy that is the case for sure. Thanks so much

o

If she is urinating a lot and drinking a lot, you need to call the vet and confirm that this is not a possible side effect of the medication, including the shots she had (they could have been long-acting steroids). Not only do steroids cause increased thirst and urination, they also can decrease the immune system enough to allow your dog to get a UTI. If she has not had steroids then she needs to see a vet ASAP to find out what is wrong. A dog doesn't forget house training under normal circumstances- they get medical conditions that need to be treated.

I hope you are recovering from your stroke well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here