Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my rottie doesn`t want to eat,but when she does, it all comes ba

Posted by bogmac (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 10, 09 at 17:29

hi everybody,
I have a one yr old rottie. I had quite a few problems with her stomach when she was little,but the vet hasn`t found anything serious. Then, all of a sudden, she is saying, that they have to have an operation on her,and take her spleen out,as it`s in the wrong place....?
I did all the search on the net, but didn`t find anything like that,only, about twisted spleen(which is a life threatening case).So, I left it.
But a week ago,we took her out in the evening as well for a walk,and it was dark, and all we saw was,that she ran off somewhere,we ran after her,but it took 2min to find her.And there she was,sniffing something,and did not want to leave it;and there were bradcrums,so maybe she was eating as well.The next day she didn`t want to eat, and got diarrhea,and threw up. Since then, she threw up yesterday morning,then she did not want to eat again whole day.today morning we fed her with her usual dry food,but later twice small portion of chicken breast and rice,and took her for a walk in between. Now its evening,and she threw up everything,except for the dry food. Is it just a coincidence,or does the walk make her worse?(she was crying to go out.)She had another diarrhea on the walk,but other than that,she was ok there.Her nose sometimes wet,sometimes dry.She looks very sad though.And her ear is very cold.
I will take her to the vet in 2 days time,if nothing changes,but i wonder if it has something to do with her spleen really,or could she catch a bug again(she had before),or what is it?
Anybody had similar story?
Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my rottie doesn`t want to eat,but when she does, it all comes

Man, there's *way* too much going on here, none of it good.

If she were mine, I'd take her to the vet *today*;
if my own vet couldn't make time, I'd ask for a referral.

I wish you the best.

o

I'm not even going to venture a guess as to what is going on, but there is no way you should wait for the dog to continue to vomit, have diarrhea, and not eat for 3 more days before deciding to take her to the vet. That is 3 days too late. The max you allow a healthy dog to get over an episode of vomiting, diarrhea, and anorexia is 24 hours. After that, it's vet time. Not 3 days later.

o

Those bread crumbs could have been dipped in antifreeze or another poison. Please make certain your pup is on leash in that area in the future, and you can teach her not to put things into her mouth by carrying a tiny travel size toothpaste or a tiny bottle of tobasco and dose your dog (it takes very little) after it puts something in its mouth it should not have there. I trained my dog this way, when he was a pup, I would take a tiny dab of the toothpaste (smaller than your little fingers fingernail) and place it on your dogs tongue, now some dogs actually like toothpaste and so tobasco sauce can work as well. A small dab should do it. A couple of times and your dog will stop puttig things in its mouth. It took my dog only 3 times, tho I carried the travel tube for 6 months. Good luck, hope your dog is okay.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here