Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help using Ivomec for dogs...in Canada

Posted by kennethjamessmith (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 17:27

I have read the posting on Ivomec usage for dogs but I am still confused. The Ivomec solution I have has per ml 10mg Ivermectin purchased to worm our sheep. What is the correct dosage for a 60lb dog? Can anyone help me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help using Ivomec for dogs...in Canada

What are you using it for? The only thing we use it for here in the South is heartworms, and I don't think that's a problem in Canada. And what percentage is it?

o

I also was going to ask what percentage solution is it? And for what ailment? I'm currently using it (Ivermax brand 1% solution) for a dog with mange. She gets 1 mL /day - she's 40 pounds.

o

One site I came across calculated the 10mg/ml at .6cc for a 60 lb dog. I believe it was for a 1% solution. But....I don't know if that's the correct amount for your dog and would suggest you call your vet and ask the correct dosage for the product you're using. If you're in good standing with your vet he/she shouldn't have a problem helping you.

Also keep in mind that there are breeds, Collies and other herding dogs, that should never be given Ivermectin.

o

Ann, that dose is pretty strong unless you're treating for mange. With a 1% solution, the dose for heartworm would be .01 cc per 10 lbs. A dose as high as the one you found could cause liver damage and eventually kill a dog. My vet set me straight on that one.

I think it's best to test before giving a herding dog Ivermectin. I've had 5 herding dogs, 3 Aussies, 1 Puli and 1 Corgi, all were or are on ivermectin heartworm preventives, and have never had any problems.

I'd definitely test a collie, though, and any other breed that is known to be very sensitive. The only dog I've known to die from it was a collie, and the ivermectin heartworm preventive was unfortunately prescribed by a VET, who should have known better.

o

Ya, I agree and that's why I suggested they call a vet. I think many people don't understand the placement of that decimal can make a huge difference in life and death.
I thought .06 would be closer to the correct dosage, but it all depends on the strength of the Ivermectin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here