Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What scratching post?

Posted by glaserberl (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 27, 11 at 15:55

I didn't want to hijack "cat abandoned by my dad" post but need some advice on enticing one of our cats to not use our furniture for scratching. We have 4 cats, 2 use a variety of scratching surfaces, 1 is de-clawed (found him that way) and number 4 is the problem. He is the youngest at just over a year. We have a sisal covered post, 2 of the card board scratchers and a tree limb mounted upright on a wood base. Biggles prefers anything furniture. The chenille ottoman, the cotton cover of a recliner and the fabric bins that fill shelf cubbies. I have covered some corners with double sided sticky tape and he leaves those alone. If I have to I will cover every corner but would rather find a scratching post he likes. Any suggestions?
TIA
Katharina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What scratching post?

Carpeted cat trees were the best money I ever spent. I put them by the windows and the cats love them.

If Puja goes to my furniture, I put a cardboard scratching box there and she uses it.

o

Hmm, you're already offering the three surfaces preferred by my cats: sisal, corrugated cardboard, and real wood. But if Biggles prefers scratching fabric, then buy or make him scratching posts covered by a variety of fabrics. Rub the posts liberally with fresh or dried catnip leaves (don't use that catnip spray). Between luring him to the posts with catnip and fabric, and covering all furniture corners with double-sided tape, you should be able to teach that naughty Biggles where his claws do and don't belong.

Laurie

o

So far he has not shown interest in catnip. The other three go nuts. Maybe he has to get a bit more mature to get high on it. I have some short, nubby carpet remnant. Maybe that will interest him. I have tried the scratching post with the longer carpet and it was a no for all of them. Maybe a 4x4 with a different fabric on each side...

o

Some cats are not catnip sensitive. There is a genetic receptor and some cats have it, some don't. My siamese wasn't into catnip, but she sure hunted out my doublemint gum I had in my purse. I'd go to get a piece and find hundreds of puncture marks on it. After the fact, it struck me they were tooth marks. Ick.

o

For the cat that I now own, I went to walmart and got some of those cardboard scratcher things. It came with a package of catnip in it. Once she sniffed the catnip she left my furniture alone. (mostly) lol

o

Kittens usually don't respond to catnip until they reach sexual maturity.

o

Ha,he got snipped at the shelter before he at about 6 weeks. He might never know the pleasure of catnip. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here