Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emto_gw

puppies

Emto
9 years ago

I've seen a lot of great info on here and hoping to get some myself.
I'm a foster mum to a rescue dog and her 3 puppies. She's not the best mum being young herself and she came to me after being hit by a car, fracturing her pelvis and pregnant. The puppies Will Be 8 Weeks old next Tuesday. They are eating and still suckling off mum.
My problem is the mess. How do I train 3 puppies when I can't have eyes everywhere? Even though I have put them in a pen with access to outside they (or one of them) keeps messing in the bed. No matter how many times I change it. I'm doing 5 loads a day of washing. It doesn't matter how much praise I give when the go outside to do business, I still get a mess.

I'm at my wits end now. Last week I had 7 puppies all told and got those 4 trained no problem but what can I do with the 3 that I will have for at least another month.

Thanks in advance
lou

Comments (10)

• emma
    9 years ago

My aunt raised pups and she showed me how to do it and it worked great. It may be a little late for this but you can give it a try. She found a very large box, like a refrigerator box, lined the box with papers. Then she put a bed box in one end of it. She cut a door in the bed box so when the pups started walking around they were on paper. When they were old enough to play she let them out in the room which was mostly covered with paper. She slowly removed the papers, leaving a soiled one down. They were almost paper trained by the time they were 6 weeks old. She did not let them out in a reg room unattended. That never works.

• Emto
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, I tried that at the beginning. They will go out but one of them always soils the bed. As I still have them until they are flown to their new homes I guess will have to put up with it. The joys of fostering abandoned dogs ðÂÂÂ

• NickyDane85
    9 years ago

sorry for asking people, but which are the best articles on pets on www.wikipedia.org. Sorry for question

• eandhl
    9 years ago

I wonder if something is wrong with one of the pups. Usually as soon as they are on their feet they attempt to get away from sleeping area for eliminating. Is the sleeping area small or large enough to get to one end & eliminate?

• mazer415
    9 years ago

Take the pup to the vet

• Emto
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I took all 5 to the vets. 2 were allergic to the food and 3 had doggie gastrointestinal infection. Just my luck. All are now on the mend thankfully. Appreciate the comments

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

At eight weeks old, why are the pups not weaned? Still nursing at that age? Is mother still eating/recycling the poo?

I've not been reading here for a few weeks or I would have been glad to have tried to help as an experienced (English) Bulldog breeder.

This post was edited by saltidawg on Wed, Jan 7, 15 at 15:11

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

How were "food allergy" for two pups diagnosed as such with one visit?

Did you have this girl before she was pregnant? Before she had her litter? How long had you had her wnen she whelped?

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

Well, I tried.

Sad.

• Emto
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry saltidawg I didn't receive notification of your post.to clarify, they were practically weaned. Eating solids fine but it turned out a very nasty tummy virus was going around and 5 of my then foster pups had it. I feel like I've been judged in this post and found lacking. These dogs are not mine. They were found abandoned. The pregnant kimmy came to me a week before giving birth to 3 puppies. 2 more puppies were dumped in a box at the pound. Another helper took them for a few days and got a vets visit in, this is where she was told it was a food allergy. All 5 are now doing well and 2 have gone off to forever homes. 2 more will leave in a few weeks.
    I do appreciate the time people took to reply. At the time of writing I was totally exhausted and could hardly think. Thanks again xx