Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mwkbear

Anyone ever use K9 artificial turf for Dogs?

mwkbear
17 years ago

Hi all,

We have a bit of a dirt problem with our three mastiffs. We have a small fenced backyard for them to play, and there's a huge tree in the middle. Between the tree and the dogs' activities, it's very difficult to keep a lawn going back there.

So, it's mostly dirt, and a lot of that dirt ends up in our kitchen and it's driving me nutty. My wife came across this website for a product called K9 Artifical turf, which seems like it might be a good solution.

Anyone here ever heard of it, or have any experience using it? Either yourself, or the kennel you use, perhaps?

Here's the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: K9 Artificial Turf

Comments (118)

• srhoffman
    7 years ago

Did you purchase the turf yourself or have the installer do that.

• lcphillips37
    7 years ago

Those of you who put the artificial turf down yourself, did you put a gravel aggregate base first??

• Deborah Jarman
    7 years ago

Thinking seriously about artificial turf for our back yard. Small grassy areas that our Golden Retriever and Schipperke have destroyed with their games of tag. Two concerns are our hot summers (Southern Utah; July and August temps in the 95-104 range consistently) and foul smell from urine. These areas are irrigated. I think leaving the sprinklers on in these turf zones would help with the smell? Not sure how the turf would hold up in the hot temps though... Appreciate any feedback or input!

• Kate F
    7 years ago

I had the turf installed. It has a good gravel and sand base under the turf. Also sand on top raked in. I am in the northeast and this is the first winter. Holding up well so far. I think most of these are made to do well in heat and sun. They originally were made for golf courses.

i do not have a problem with smell at all. We do get regular rain though. I think just hosing it occasionally will drain it well. Overall it drains so much better than the dirt. I just wish I had done it years ago.

• Deborah Jarman
    7 years ago

Thanks Kate. What brand of turf did you use?

• Kate F
    7 years ago

I used Intelliturf. They are based out of the south but have franchises all over. Including Utah I think.

• kristi66
    7 years ago

I am considering artificial grass for a private dog park. But I am interested in a surface that dogs will enjoy exercising on, perhaps do a bit of agility, certainly retrieve balls. The dogs can potty before entering the park. Is artificial grass a good surface for dogs to run an play on or is it better suited to a potty zone? Thank you.

• hmwtarheel
    7 years ago

K9 Grass by Forever Lawn is a waste of money. It is short, stubby, feels nothing like grass and my dog took a sniff and walked away for the past two weeks. Further, I coaxed her onto it to just sit and perhaps grow accustomed to it: not in this lifetime, she said. with our technology today, there should be a way to produce a product that actually feels like grass -- longer than these stubs, softer and dog friendly. I spent $67.95 -- now hold on to your socks -- $21.05 for shipping and I did not request express shipping. Ridiculous.

• Kate F
    7 years ago

As I noted previously, I am very happy with Intelliturf, but it is very pricey. They do everything, but it is about $10/ sq foot. The dogs (two Goldens) love playing , running, fetching, etc. so it is a great and clean sub for grass.

• msmonap
    6 years ago

does anyone that has synthetic grass have an issue with odor? Mine stinks no matter what I hose it down with. Thanks for any help with this.

• shepherdess28
    6 years ago

Have you tried Wysiwash? I am still researching artificial turf for dogs, but people on the "Best Kennel Set-Up's & Designs" group on Facebook seem to swear by proper installation (so you get drainage through the turf) and Wysiwash. HTH

• msmonap
    6 years ago
    Does anyone with artificial turf have odor problems ? Mine smells and I hose it and use enzyme on it daily. I have 4 dogs that go on it twice a day. I pick up solid waste twice daily before washing. If you don't have a problem what brand and company did you use to install? It looks great and is holding up but sometimes it smells very strong of urine Thank you!
  • twilcox
    6 years ago
    I believe the odor has more to do with the proper installation of the turf...basically the layers and types of gravel, sand etc used underneath. The turf has to be able to drain through to avoid odor. I've had my turf for over 5 years now and have noticed odor maybe 3 times ever. (and I live in the hot humid south).
  • msmonap
    6 years ago
    Thanks all. I got a refund on my product and will look and see if intelliturf has a New Jersey location. If anyone else out there has accompany they have been happy with and don't have stinky turf I would appreciate it. I had a feeling it was the installation process. For as clean as I keep it, it should not smell at all!
  • lcphillips37
    6 years ago

I installed SynLawn artificial turf a couple of months ago. Installed it myself and followed all the installation recommendations and still have odor problems. I installed 4" of 57 gravel then 1" of #8 before installing the turf. Then I put the silica sand on top of the turf. I have watered several times a week. I even use a kennel cleaner recommended my Synlawn and the odor still comes back within a day or two. I only have 2 dogs and they don't use the turf all the time. Any suggestions??

• msmonap
    6 years ago

I have the same problem with odor. I water it daily and have used three different types of enzymatic cleaner daily. I noticed it smells worse when I have the solid gate closed so I am thinking of changing the gate to a picket so I get better airflow. I am ready to rip it up. Any suggesstions would be much appreciated. I have 4 dogs but they get walked three times a day so they only use it in early morning and late at night.

• twilcox
    6 years ago

I'm wondering (based on some of the comments), if the size of the area that is turfed and the enclosure around it comes into play. In my case (experienced little to no odor), my yard is large and there is good air flow. Again, I think it is very important to have proper installation, but maybe other factors could come into play. You can see in the picture, that I have an open style fence that runs the length of the side yard and a privacy fence that runs across the back. That likely helps with air flow.

• msmonap
    6 years ago
    I think you are right about air flow. I have solid fence and when I open gates it seems better. I close them at night and by morning it's stinky again but I need the solid gates because we have skunks around here. I am going to add picket to the inside so I can leave it open during daylight hours.
  • lcphillips37
    6 years ago

My area is only 8' x 15' - a small section in my backyard. So, I don't think air flow is an issue. I've contacted the company and we'll see how it goes from there. Thanks for suggestions.

• msmonap
    6 years ago
    Please let me know how you do. What company did you use? I have been I. Touch with a few to have my area 8 x 20 redone. I think mine is a combination of airflow and the wrong stuff under it. So frustrating because I love the turf itself. It's so much cleaner.
  • msmonap
    6 years ago
    Has anyone with artificial turf used ProGreen and have tiyvhad any issues with it?
  • llmichell
    5 years ago

We initially started getting quotes 2 years ago but due to the expense decide to put down pea gravel. It's been a year with the pea gravel & I'm not liking it much it looks great but the dogs get dusty - their paws are always dirty & they kick the gravel up everywhere so we are back to getting quotes for pet turf. We have samples from SynLawn & Foreverlawn's K9 Grass. I like the K9 grass as the backing is more porous versus the Synalwn which only has a few holes punched in. I also have read complaints about odor issues with SynLawn. We have about 500Sq ft and Synlawn quoted $8200 with installation. We have not received a written estimate form Foreverlawn yet but they quoted me on the phone $15 sq ft including installation so that would be about $7500. I am still on the fence due to potential odor issues, heat issues (we have no shade in that area) and aesthetic issues. We have 2 Shelties so they really don't go out in the heat of the day and the yard does get shade early morning and late afternoon so thinking the heat issue may not be much of a drawback. Anyone have experience with any of these 2 products. We live on Long Island so not sure if there are other companies here there that would compare.

• Kate F
    5 years ago

I used Intelliturf. They were around $10-12 sq foot./ I have a 2000 sq foot lot so it was pricey but the product has been great. I'm in the Boston area and it was a tough winter (second full year with the yard). It is holding up. I am having a refresh of the silica sand (which is brushed into the surface) due to some yard flooding that washed some of it away, but the flooding was much worse before I installed the turf. I think they have a base in the Stamford, CT area that might service you. I would recommend them. I have two golden retrievers (adding a third). They love this yard. No mud, it does not get hot in the sun (It's not like the soccer fields that get so hot with the rubber pellets). No issues with smell- I recommend something with really good backing to allow good flow. For really messy accidents that have happened occasionally I just drench it with a hose and it washes out really well. Plus in the Northeast we get enough seasonal rain (usually) to keep things flowing.

Make sure they prepare the yard with an underlayment of gravel to help with the drainage and flow. Laying right over dirt with no gravel underlay might restrict drainage. Good luck.

• maryfae
    5 years ago

@twilcox what was the brand of the dog turf that you are happy with?

• twilcox
    5 years ago

@maryfae, I can't remember the exact name brand of the turf but it was distributed by Synthetic Grass Warehouse (a nationwide distributor). You can google them. My turf is still standing strong about 6 years later. A great investment. This thread has been around a very long time!

• PRO
    Emily Barron Designs
    5 years ago

@kate f , I am getting my estimate from Intelliturf soon. Do you remember which of their products you went with. C-80 or C-60?

• Kate F
    5 years ago

I went with the 80. I liked the look better. It was over two years ago so I am not sure what the differences are now! But I have been happy with it.

• Anne Schiefer
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

@kate f Hi Kate. We just got a quote from intelliturf. We like the salesman and they seem reliable. He did not quote us the "pet grass" that they use in pet parks. He said the residential would work fine for our yard. Do you know if you got the pet products or the residential? Also do you have a drainage system underneath? (Plastic trays)? I think the trays only come with the pet system.

• Kate F
    5 years ago

I did not use the pet grass. I liked the regular grass better. It does not have the pet drainage system. When they installed they prepped the whole yard with a crushed stone underlayment and dirt over that then the fine sand in the grass. It’s been fine.

• Anne Schiefer
    5 years ago

@kate f Thanks. This can get very confusing. Your opinion and info is very helpful!!

• gen911
    3 years ago

10/2020 just found this thread, I’d love to hear updates from those of you that have dogs and artificial turf. I have 3 dogs and I’m wanting this for a dog run that runs the length of my house. Mostly always shaded in Texas (DFW area).

• Angela H.
    3 years ago

I’m so happy I found this thread! Thank you to all who provided such valuable information! I have a GSD and an English Springer both super active which has made it difficult to keep my lawn healthy due to high traffic and my GSD also likes to dig. I got a quote from Forever Lawn on the K9 grass. My outdoor space is about 677 sq feet and the estimate was almost 10k. Per the comments here it doesn’t seem K9 is a way to go. I already have some drainage issues in one part of my property and I don’t feel like doing the installation on my own. I have requested a quote from Intelliturf and Synthetic Grass Warehouse. Thanks again!!

• buffalotina
    3 years ago

I just discovered this thread! Great info. I am doing a around a 200 square foot dog run and just checked out K9Grass website. It looks great but from the above it seems other products may work very well also. Agree the multiple competing websites and claims are confusing. Would be interested in any feedback people add here. Has anyone used EasyTurf? That is one I think may be available in my area. I specifically need the good draining dog tuf. Thanks!

• Chris Yee
    3 years ago

I live in MD and I got my quote from Foreverlawn K9 Grass. I have 1,350 sq. ft. and was quoted $15.75 per sq. ft. Is that a reasonable price or is that a premium price?

• melmarmstrong
    3 years ago

Hi I am debating whether to get artificial turf because of the smell. I found turf reinforcements mesh by tenax that I am going to try first. it is supposed to help with digging and Stop ruts with heavy play. If Tenax doesnt work then I will look at artificial. If Anyone else has used tenax how did it work out for you?

• msmonap
    3 years ago

It has been a long time since i wrote on this thread. I had to remove my Synlawn due to odor issues. I put down river rock which the dogs got used to. I have only two dogs now. When it got cold, I threw down some 8 x 10 pieces of synthetic grass from home depot and it didn't take long before it started stinking again. I just rolled it up and threw it out. Now my dogs go on the river rock but it is not always easy to find poops! I am sticking with this option and leaving synthetic grass out of the options. I just cant stand the smell.

• Kate F
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@chris yee: that price seems a bit high. About 4 years ago I paid $10/sq foot for Intelliturf (installed), which is a high end product. So $15.75 seems quite pricey.

• Kate F
    3 years ago

@msmonap: I have had my lawn (2000 sq ft) for about 4 years now and I have not had any issues with smell. How long did you have it? And what part of the country? I am in New England and we generally have enough rain and snow to "clean" it.

• Kate
    3 years ago

I live in downtown Denver where it seems everyone owns a dog or two. Many of the high rises here have issues with the artificial turf smelling. I’m sure it is mostly do to lack of proper drainage during install and no rain. Walking past you have to hold your breath. All the real grass between the street and sidewalk is mostly dead and full of dog poo same with all the parks that are not dog parks officially, but look like one. Still wondering how dog lovers think having multiple big dogs in an apartment is being kind to a pet.

• HU-492068
    3 years ago

We put down used artificial turf three years ago. Best thing we ever did. We put a layer of sand and a couple inches of gravel underneath and it drains beautifully. I think having enough drainage underneath is the trick. We pick up the poop every day and don't let it sit. We typically have enough rain to keep the dog yard from smelling bad, but if we have a long dry spell it can get a bit smelly. So once or twice a year I use a cleanser (attach standard dilution sprayer to water hose) to spray the yard and all's well.

ProVetLogic AcuPro Animal Facility Disinfectant, Concentrated Disinfectant, Cleaner and Deodorizer, Effective Against Canine Parvovirus, 32 Ounces

• Kate F
    3 years ago

Yikes! I can see where that is a problem. I had a 14 year old who could not make the 4 stairs to the ward so I placed a piece of the turf on the porch. She used it all the time, but it did get rank! My yard install took a full week with new drainage and lots of underlaying stone and sand. So I am sure that is why it still works for me.

• Justin O'Shea
    2 years ago

Hi, we are looking into installing dog friendly turf in VA. Foreverlawn is quoting us $4,300 for 224 square feet. Is this a normal price for such a small area?

• Kate F
    2 years ago

When i was getting it a few years ago it was about $10/sq ft. so that seems a bit high to me

• Justin O'Shea
    2 years ago

Did that $10 price include installation as well?

On the quote they gave me, they seem to be charging 1,500 for "ground prep", $1800 for the grass, and $1,000 for installation

• Justin O'Shea
    2 years ago

We also have concrete pavers that we had initially asked them to include removal of them in the quote. But after the initial quote ($4,800), they said if we removed the pavers ourselves, which we are thinking of doing, they'd knock off $500 down to $4,300. Which seems really pricey for such a small area.

• PRO
    Felderman Keatinge and Associates
    2 years ago

any one use Pet Grass? quoting that and K9 Grass

• Kathi Steele
    last year

Anyone have any updates they would like to add?? So very interested in this thread.

• kirsten saint
    last year

pet Turf recommendations that are more recent?

• Deanna Brownley
    last year

I cannot find contact info for IntelliTurf here in Orange County CA, but that seems to be the preferred product. Any locals to SoCal who have recommendations?

• Shot gun
    last month

We used K9turf extremely happy with the results and the outcome after several months still happy with K9turf