Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

Cleaning cat's chin acne "dirty chin"

violetwest
9 years ago

Has anyone had experience or success with a gentle cleanser for a mild case of feline chin acne?

I'm reading everything from soap and water to hydrogen peroxide to benzoyl peroxide

Comments (9)

• airforceguy
    9 years ago

No--but we changed cat bowls to fix the cat acne problem!! We had switched to a plastic bowl.....then we started to notice the cat acne! Sure enough, after an internet search, plastic can cause a reaction with some cats! Switched to a steel cat food dish...soon after that, no more cat acne!!

• junebug1961
    9 years ago

Many years ago, I had a kitty with chin acne. As airforceguy stated, the vet told me to switch out the plastic bowl for a steel or ceramic one. That, and a mild cleanser from the vet's office addressed kitty's dirty chin.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

well, I only use ceramic bowls. I guess I'll try a little hydrogen peroxide. It's really not too bad, but I'd like to keep it from getting worse.

• mazer415
    9 years ago

Witch Hazel is a far better bet than Hydrogen Peroxide, Witch Hazel will clean and dry out the area....

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

Be very cautious with Witch Hazel⦠many cats will develop intense allergies to that product⦠but peroxide is not a good choice, either as it can damage the sensitive skin of a pet. There are many more gentle products you can get at vet that will help control that disease. Most bowls that historically have caused skin reactions have been taken off the market. Can be a tough disease to completely eliminate, but in most cats it is more annoying than serious. Gentle cleansing soaps following by mild antibiotic or antiseptic creams (applied very thinly) are what I have found best for chin acne in cats. Some Benzyl Peroxide products work well (just note Benzyl peroxide is not the same as Hydrogen peroxide).

• junebug1961
    9 years ago

I'm with lzrddr...
    The cleanser I got was from my vet, and I think it did contain benzoyl peroxide. I wouldn't take a chance with other soaps or chemicals...critters can be pretty sensitive to stuff that we are not.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

I use Dr. Bronners castile soap for babies on my white cat's face & chin when it's dirty. I use a washcloth or cotton swabs & warm water very gently - like washing a baby's face...

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I use a ceramic bowl. My cat is into scratching his chin until it bleeds. Any advice on how to stop him or what to put on his sores?

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

read above. Also, antibiotics can sometimes help, but not always a reliable cure. Cleansing works best. Sometimes cortisone can help, too.