Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentclub

1 year old dog continence problems

kentclub
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I would like to post my problem and see if anyone who has been in a similar situation can help.

I have a dog, Sookie, who is now 1 year and 2 months old. When I got her, she was around 10 weeks old.

So when I took her, I realized that she was peeing on the little bed I made for her. That's when i was kind of sure that the poor thing had probably been kept somewhere where she had to urinate where she sleeps.

Anyway, she already has submissive urination since she's little - but I kinda know how to deal with that: not touching her when excited, not greeting her right away when coming home, etc...

I have been crate training her since she was 4 months old. Moreover, I've been taking her out at least 6 times a day ever since - because otherwise : she WILL pee in the house.
I mean, it has been literally impossible to see her hold it more than 3 hours.

BUT, here is the thing : in new environments (like a new apartment i just moved to or my grandmother's place) she actually could hold it without a problem. For a while.
After she got comfortable with the place she just started eventually urinating inside even though i kept on (and still keep on) taking her out every 3 hours.

It also isn't only urine. Even though it happens less frequently, there is a chance that she poops inside if i'm not around (say in another room).

So basically :

- Crate trained for 10 months
- Gets out at least 6 times a day
- Can actually hold it if in unknown environment

By the way : she still sometimes pees in her crate (its just big enough for her to get up and turn around).

I'm really starting to get desperate here. It's not easy, after a year, to still take a dog out 6-8 times a day + clean the floor everyday.

By the way, she is a really timid character. An expert trainer's guess, after seeing her, was that she had been separated from the mother too soon hence the lack of confidence.
I've been training her since she is 3 months old (come, sit, stay, lay down, jump, etc...) and making her run (she follows me while i'm on my bike) on a constant basis but she still is quite easily scared.

Anyway, if anyone has been in a similar case or if you feel like there is something i might have done wrong please do not hesitate to tell me.

Cheers!

This post was edited by kentclub on Tue, Dec 2, 14 at 13:11

Comments (2)