Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there anything to put on stitches to make them feel better?

Posted by freezetag (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 3, 08 at 12:27

Our six month old pup was spayed yesterday, and came home today with an E-collar. So she can't get to her stitches, but I can tell she wants to - she keeps licking her back legs and anywhere close to that area.

When my kids have had stitches, they always say to keep them dry for several days, then to put a little bacitracin on them for the next few days so that they will not be itchy or get stuck to the skin. Is it different for dogs? My vet did not say anthing about it - just said to definitely leave the E-collar on 24/7, because she seems to be the kind of dog who will never leave it alone.

We had a dog once who chewed out the stitches in her foot after having a small growth removed - she had to have new stitches, and they took a loooong time to heal since they were not nice and neat like the original ones. So the pup is mad, but the collar stays on. Just want her to be as comfortable as possible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there anything to put on stitches to make them feel better

I'd ask the vet for some ointment to help with itching or if it's ok to put some neosporin on it.

My dogs never had stitches showing after a spay, so I've really never had the problem.

o

The vet allowed us to put benadryl cream on our dogs (itchy allergies!) also she did recommend neosporin or something similar. So I think you would be able to use something like that to keep the area more moist and less itchy.

I would give your vet a quick call first tho, just to ask. The techs would probably be able to recommend something also, if you can't talk to the vet.

The stitches may be pulling the skin and the fur is probably growing back and that is itchy too, so putting on the cream may not stop her from trying to itch there.

When we had our boy neutered we were able to take a few days off and watch him and make sure he wouldn't get in the habit of scratching his stitches. We also kept him occupied with things that were much more fun, like a kong or rawhide.

-rj

o

Our beagle just had surgery too, and she had an incision slightly bigger than her spay one. She had to wear her E-Collar. I asked the vet if there was anything I could do, and the answer was no. But maybe because her surgery was more invasive than a spay there was greater risk of infection? It can't hurt to call and ask your vet.

But the good news is, it really only seemed to drive her bonkers for the first full day home, and the morning of the next. She still licked off and on and we had to put the collar back on when we weren't home. But she has been home for a week today, and I don't think she's licked at all in about two days, and she hasn't had the collar on for a few days, and slept without it on the last 2 nights, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here