Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandyinva

Anyone try the nylon chew proof dog beds?

sandyinva
19 years ago

Our 8 month old springer has gone through 3 dog beds, and now can no longer remain crated with the towel he loved since we brought him home, because he's chewing that up too.

I have seen dog beds by Orvis and other companies that are advertised as indestructible. They may be made from denier nylon.

Has anyone tried them, and does your dog like it?

Thanks in advance,

Sandy

Comments (34)

• rachelacey
    19 years ago

Have you thought of trying Kuranda beds? They're supposed to be virtually indestructable.

Here is a link that might be useful: kuranda beds

• pamghatten
    19 years ago

I ended up buying $20 washable 2 x 3 rugs from Target. My husky/yellow lab tears them up when he gets excited, when I'm not home. It takes him a couple of months to destroy them, but $20 is easier to swallow than those expensive dog beds.

I tried ONE of those, when I first got him and threw it out after 2 weeks. WHat a waste of money.

• sandyinva
    Original Author
    19 years ago

He is not ready to be out of his crate when we are at work as he chews everything, so what ever I use has to be flat. The orvis bed is expensive but they do state they will replace it should it be chewed up. I do not feel comfortable leaving him alone with anything that he could shred and get caught in his throat, etc.

Sandy

• pamghatten
    19 years ago

You might as well try the Orvis bed then and keep your receipts etc. I have some of the Orvis car seat covers and am very happy with the quality, and service from Orvis.

My dogs are both middle-aged and he still shreds his bed occasionally .... But they are limited to the kitchen when I'm not home. Safer and cleaner that way. I have gates up in the doorways so they can see everything.

Good luck, Pam

• JerriEllijay
    19 years ago

After loosing a few new dogs beds to Harley the wonder dog, I tried the Orvis beds that are suppose to be chew-free.

So far so good.... Wish I could say the same for the Christmas toys.

jerri

• fsaforo
    18 years ago

Hey folks,

I'm trying the Orvis beds too, my four are all destructive and I went into an local Orvis store and I like that guarantee if they are able to destroy it.

As for my cat, I'm trying the Kuranda thing for her and maybe, one for my girl dog to see how it works.

flo

• sandyinva
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We actually found an orvis bed at one of their outlet stores at Capecod last summer. And it is still in one piece! What finally made the difference was spraying Arley's fleece type crate mat with bitter apple. After a few weeks of keeping that up, he stopped shredding it. I don't know why it had not occurred to me before. He never even tried to shred the orvis bed.

He will be two in April, and he remains as challenging as any two year kid could be, except he's furry.

sandy

• eccentric
    18 years ago

Sandy - Our 22 lb. American Eskimo with the jaw and tooth strength of a Rotti will also turn 2 in April. I am of course awaiting the major transformation that is supposed to occur at age 2 - although now I am hearing age 3. My guy is a major chewer - and is faster than a Rotti - no one can believe it - and he hardly has to try. He sleeps in our bed but does not chew the sheets and bedding during the night - he saves that for the day. Of course any sort of bed of his own would be pointless. I did however note the Kuranda board being advertised on another site so looked it up. Comes in varying strengths of material, but what worried me was the "replacement parts" available. So I will hope for the magical age 2. We are on leash #16. But I guess I shouldn't complain - he has great teeth! and fortunately a very sweet disposition.

• JerriEllijay
    18 years ago

Update on Harley, He chewed the Orvis bed pretty fast too, sigh.......

• fsaforo
    18 years ago

I am on that list of folks like yourself that is going to try the Orvis beds, heck with a guarantee, you can't loose.

My local Orvis store even told me to have it shipped to them so I wouldn't have to pay for shipping.

Flo

• celestial
    18 years ago

I would try the Orvis beds too -- they replaced, free of charge, a fly rod I snapped on a salmon (caused by my stupid mistake -- I even told them it was my fault.) Then, they posted the photo of me holding the salmon in their store. Nice people.

My dogs have chewed through beds that I have made from both: 1000 denier Cordura and Ballistic Nylon.

I'd be curious if the Orvis bed works for your dog. Please post results :)

• shaunabryn_adelphia_net
    17 years ago

My 100 lb. German Shepherd has arthritis in her hips and needs to be on a bed... but she has torn through dozens of them in the last 4 years.
    We decided to try Orvis' 'indestructible' dog bed because testimonials were good, and they offer a refund if your dog manages to tear through it.

It lasted 3 hours.
    :-(

Anyone have the Kuranda beds?

• dachsiedad
    17 years ago

I have 5 dachshunds. My youngest, Minnie Mae, weighs 13 pounds and tore through both of the Orvis "chew proof" beds I bought from them in a couple days!! So they are NOT chew proof! Orvis sent another couple to me, but Minnie chewed thru those in a hurry too. They finally refunded my money. I think they are much better made than most beds though. So a mild chewer may be ok. I am hoping Minnie outgrows her chewing!! I am at a loss on what to do. My wife and I spent $750 6 months ago for surgery on her to remove a large piece of a chewed up blanket from her intestine. I have heard 2 years is the time they outgrow this - but she is now 20 months old and has not slowed down.
    She is so loveable, which helps make up for the chewing.

• lawyergardener
    17 years ago

NEEDED: Indestructible Dog Bed!
    I have three dogs, two good ones and one HORRIBLE one. My girls (the good ones) never chew anything they're not supposed to. The boy is a two year old "throw away" we found as a puppy on the side of the road - he appears to be a pit bull/ doberman mix. He has seizures (on meds for that) and is horribly destructive.

He chewed through: (1) steel cable drain for a work sink (in one night), (2) a set of screens for our new windows (in one night); (3) the garage door opening mechanism's wiring (again, one night); (4) several beds, towels, etc. I could go on and on! HELP! Money is no object for a chew proof (or resistent) bed!

Beds make it one hour, tops, but he sleeps in an unheated garage and his poor "sister" (the younger of our girl dogs) is stuck with him in the garage at night because she has a calming influence on him (otherwise, I feel certain he'd chew the tires off the cars - no lie). She, at least, deserves a soft chew-proof bed. Any ideas?

• stephwiffen_hotmail_co_uk
    16 years ago

Try stop-chew, they are made from kevlar, and there is a refund/replacement scheme.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stop-chew dog beds

• info_skemfg_com
    16 years ago

Please read my post below, I would not have anyone or their pet touch a Kevlar bed for a dog for any reason.

This type of product may be legal in other countries, but DuPont (maker of domestic Kevlar) will not release it for pet bedding in any form in the US.

I am a small manufacturer of chew, and chew proof resistant pet bedding, and was told by engineers that the arimid fibers can be ingested by eager chewing pets and the fibers would tear up the lining of the stomach of the pet, and lead to irreversible damage or death.

In the US, anyone requesting Kevlar or other aimid woven fabrics must disclose the end use before they are allowed to continue the approval process.

I have over twenty years experience in textiles, our small firm researched this fabric years ago and if it were a possibility to use, we would have done it first.
    I have tried many fabrics for pet bedding and I am convinced that Kevlar will cause harm, hurt pet owners, bury pets, and bring major lawsuits.

This is not an ad for my company, but a very stern, hopefully eye opening warning to others who consider a Kevlar or other arimid fiber type pet product.

I hate to be negative towards another product, but this is above and beyond most consumers knowlegde for this type of fabric....until it's too late.

There are other choices out there people.......choose wisely for you and your pet.

Here is a link that might be useful: SK Enterprises Manufacturing

• seanfar
    16 years ago

FORGET ORVIS!

I found a bed from a company called K-9 Ballistics. It is made from 1680 Denier Ballistic material and it's soft! Once Cody figured out he wasn't going to chew through this bed he just gave up. I've had it for three months now! I reccommend it to everyone. You can get one at www.k9ballistics.com , you'll be happy you did! They also have some awesome collars and leashes

Here is a link that might be useful: www.k9ballistics.com

• mazer415
    16 years ago

question - how much time do you spend with your dog in training or outside playing and leash walking??? Sounds like your dog is bored, and needs to get more outside time. Maybe some good training classes as well. Your dog is still in its puppy stage and the fact is that dogs explore the world with their noses and their mouths. Proovide your dog with a kong and some other toys to reduce its anxiety while you are gone, and find some local dog owners your dog can play with when you are home, so it can expend more energy.

• henryhaha
    16 years ago

i LOVE the kurunda bed - our black lab male 4 yrs old chewed thru 3 beds - this one = nothing! during the winter months we put an old piece of berber run on top of it 'cause we can't take it outside to hose/clean it. just got another rescue dog 4 months ago and black lab is still chewing his bed, so we're ordering another.

and haha - poopoo - to those that say it's due to lack of exercise or anxiety. our 2 dogs play constantly, are best friends, take long hikes unleashed thru the woods every weekend and i'm home all day with them. so, please tell me - how can they expend more energy or lessen the so-called anxiety. i'm clueless and basically fed up with those that say to play and leash walk them - they are not bored!!!!

• abbypitty
    15 years ago

Hi,

After reading the reviews I decided to go with another more Durable Dog Bed,THE ORIGINAL BALLISTIC DOG BEDS"

THE MOST DURABLE BEDS ON THE MARKET
    Our signature ballistic nylon is designed to create an impermeable barrier to keep dander out of the interior of dogs bed. The tight weave of this fabric effectively removes the food source for allergy-causing dust mites that can irritate you or your pet. It also efficiently seals out odor-causing moisture from wet dogs. Using extremely high-loft fill, featuring a water-resistant shell, and incorporating all the construction tricks we know to make a bed last, these beds have given adventerous dog's everywhere a good night's sleep.

https://www.k9ballistics.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_list&c=2

• fluffy_bubba
    15 years ago

I tried the K-9 Ballistics bed. My dog destroyed it in less than an hour. They use a plastic zipper and he defeated that in minutes. He also chewed up the corner, so the nylon isn't indestructible. All this even though the bed had been sprayed with a bitter spray chew deterrent. Not worth the money. In fact, it's money down the drain.

• rcu570_aol_com
    15 years ago

We also have a tenacious chewer. Murphy -our 9 year old dachshund - has had "anxiety" issues when we are not here and will chew AND INGEST many fabric items, which included the beds we started with when he was young.

He has eaten dish towels, blankets and dog beds. We also had a horrible experience where he ingested the nylon harness left in his crate when he was at the kennel, ultimately requiring emergency surgery to remove many pieces of the leash (including a 12 inch piece lodged in stomache and intestine.) Thankfully, our critically ill little guy survived!

So, Murph's "problem" clearly is an issue we take very seriously.

Having appropriate bedding is a life saving necessity. We used the bitter apple spray. We tried the Orvis beds (3 times) but he could chew through them and than also had bits of zipper chewed up! We tried 100% cotton blankets thinking at least digestible to same extent but he devoured huge pieces. No success with any of these options.

We finally tried the Kuranda bed. I ordered the PVC one because it has no exposed edges for Murph to get ahold of. Finally, the answer!

We started using the Kuranda bed about 7 years ago for Murph and Amber (his sister, who does not have chewing problem). I did purchase a new Kuranda bed about 4 years ago but only because we move and I ordered a larger one for their new "space". The original bed (still in excellent condition ) is now at my daughter's house for use when Murph "sleeps over". In addition, my daugher uses a similar bed for my three doxie grandpuppies.

Beyond the "no chew" attribute, these beds have several additional benefits. You can hose them down, dry quickly. They are off the floor. Because they have a little "give" , they are helpful in older dogs in terms of arthritis. The fabric and the PVC legs are so cleanable - the original bed (now about 7 years old ) has no odor or stains.

I HIGHLY recommend.

BTW when we are home and Murph can be supervised, he sleeps on a very cushy pillow type bed with his blankie. And we have no problems. But when he goes into his "safe room" with no fabrics and his Kuranda bed, he seems quite content and I know he is safe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kuranda beds

• seanfar
    15 years ago

FYI- I spoke with the people at K-9 Ballistics about their beds because my dog to got throught the plastic zipper.
    Guess what?

They fixed this problem!

They have removed the zippers all together and replaced them with an industrial strength velco closure that is placed on the underside of the bed where your dog can't reach it. They have also re-enforced the corners with an additional layer in the corners!

THEY SENT ME ONE OF THEIR NEW BEDS AT NO CHARGE...

Oh yeah, they also changed their fill, they now use tufted layers of polyfil batting which make it alot more like a dog mattress...this thing is awesome

Here is a link that might be useful: k9ballistics

• jsulima_cox_net
    13 years ago

Based on a number of reviews, I forked over $80 for a dog bed from K9 Ballistics. My 8-month-old Lab chewed through the corner in one night and got to the interior bedding. Should've tried the Orvis. At least I would've got my money back.

• badpuppy
    12 years ago

Cushion Guy or SK Enterprises Mfg.(Dura-Beds) = Bad.

Bought a bed ($95.00) for two 13 week old german shepard puppies. They chewed a corner off in one night and it was soaking wet. (I have had GS my entire life and these two do the least amount of chewing of any dog I have owned.)

I emailed the manufacturer four times beginning the following morning and never received a response.

I did not expect the product to last forever, but I did expect it to last more than overnight.

I am most disappointed with not even receiving a response.

I do not know if there is a chew proof bed, but this certainly is not it!

• dogowner3
    12 years ago

We have two horribly destructive labs. We have been through numerous cheaper beds and have had no luck. After reading numerous positive reviews we did purchase two K9 Ballistics Bed. We have been very pleased with our purchase, as our labs have not been able to completely destroy these beds. The beds were of much higher quality than i was expecting, the material is quite nice and extremely durable. One of our shark toothed destroyers did manage to pierce a very small hole in the cover by tearing the label off, but he was not able to get to the stuffing. I contacted K9 Ballistics and they immediately sent me a replacement cover free of charge. They instructed me to place the new cover directly over the old cover as to double bag the bed. They also went the extra mile as to help me understand why my dogs love to eat their beds and gave me some tips on how to prevent this. I would with out a doubt recommend this company and there products to anyone who has this problem.

Sincerely
    Joyce Kelly

• paige_lang_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Someone's trying to sell K9 ballistic beds here. I won't be buying those because of the hard sell going on here. I'll try Orvis. Thanks.

• betsyhac
    12 years ago

Yup. K9 ballistic are loser spammers.

• JuneC1123
    12 years ago

I just saw a comment saying "if you believe ANY fabric is chew proof then I have a bridge to sell you" - this is oh so try! Some beds may be "tough" - Orvis will keep replacing beds - but's that a pain to send them back. The posts about Kuranda beds are right on the money. They have fabric in them - but they are hidden in a channel in the frame so no edges are "available" for your dog to chew on. I've worked in a shelter that uses them - they are great. I got one for my dog, too. I got it at http://www.dogbedworks.com

• youce
    9 years ago

DO not waste your money. This company is very misleading about its product. The bed is absolutely not chew proof. They test their products on dogs that do not have destructive issue and show customers that "it works". On top of that, the worst thing is their money guarantee. It doesn't guarantee crap. When my bed was chewed off in 5 minutes, I requested refund immediately with photos. it took them weeks to get back to me. Then they misled me to get a replacement bed instead of giving me money back. I said I don't want another bed that I know will only last 5 minutes. They tricked me to get a replacement, thinking I will get 50% refund if it doesn't work out again. In conclusion, they refused to give me refund after they sent me the replacement. Such a scam.

• wordie89
    9 years ago

Well, I don't have much to say about beds but laughed a lot about the stories.

My wheatie (18 mos) is happy to tear up his bed, it's lasted longer than his cutesie chew toys. He grabs it and hops onto the bed. Throws it down on the ground. leaps on it. grabs it. dashes to the living room. hops onto the sofa, bed in mouth, plops self on my down filled pillows in my lovely pillow covers and mouths the bed. He can get the plastic cap off of a 2 liter bottle in about 45 seconds (fear not, we watch and he doesn't swallow them although he gives them the chewing of their life!). The kong does endure but he doesn't enjoy it as much. He has chewed the nyla bone nub down to a straightaway. He's chewed up 3 pairs of reading glasses (DH finally puts them out of the way), a couple remote controls, a couple tervis cup lids, every outside corner baseboard, 2 pairs of sunglasses (my son now puts them away), furniture feet, legs, arms, a set of ear phones, 2 sets of ear phone silicon buds (okay, I finally put them up high), rug corners, 2 bath mats, six ornaments this year that won't be adorning any more christmas trees, any plastic storage container that is within reach, his leash, his harness (while it was on.... too loose I suppose), sandles, shoes (of course only ONE of each pair), work tote, a bag of black kow, (at least he dragged it around the yard and spread the wealth), bags of mulch, bag of potting soil, garden knee pad, trowel handles, gloves, buckets, moisturizer containers, mouth wash bottle (fortunately it developed a noticeable leak and we caught him), the lap desk on which this computer sits.... you get the idea. He's a puppy so I hope he'll settle down as he reaches 2 years +. We're very fond of him but this chewing is getting to us.

• wordie89
    9 years ago

Well, I don't have much to say about beds but laughed a lot about the stories.

My wheatie (18 mos) is happy to tear up his bed, it's lasted longer than his cutesie chew toys. He grabs it and hops onto the bed. Throws it down on the ground. leaps on it. grabs it. dashes to the living room. hops onto the sofa, bed in mouth, plops self on my down filled pillows in my lovely pillow covers and mouths the bed. He can get the plastic cap off of a 2 liter bottle in about 45 seconds (fear not, we watch and he doesn't swallow them although he gives them the chewing of their life!). The kong does endure but he doesn't enjoy it as much. He has chewed the nyla bone nub down to a straightaway. He's chewed up 3 pairs of reading glasses (DH finally puts them out of the way), a couple remote controls, a couple tervis cup lids, every outside corner baseboard, 2 pairs of sunglasses (my son now puts them away), furniture feet, legs, arms, a set of ear phones, 2 sets of ear phone silicon buds (okay, I finally put them up high), rug corners, 2 bath mats, six ornaments this year that won't be adorning any more christmas trees, any plastic storage container that is within reach, his leash, his harness (while it was on.... too loose I suppose), sandles, shoes (of course only ONE of each pair), work tote, a bag of black kow, (at least he dragged it around the yard and spread the wealth), bags of mulch, bag of potting soil, garden knee pad, trowel handles, gloves, buckets, moisturizer containers, mouth wash bottle (fortunately it developed a noticeable leak and we caught him), the lap desk on which this computer sits.... you get the idea. He's a puppy so I hope he'll settle down as he reaches 2 years +. We're very fond of him but this chewing is getting to us.

• HU-230015674
    last year

I finally got my 80 female yellow labrador a kuranda dog vinyl bed with the aluminum legs, alittle pricey, but still in one piece. She has chewed up towels, rugs, rubber mats, blankets, and eats them! I definitely was worried about obstruction! Bed was worth every penny!! Now to find bed for my Male lab dog that fit into his kennel!!!

• Ana William
    last year

this products are good?