Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheryl_p_gw

can pumpkin/coconut help anal gland?

cheryl_p
13 years ago

Hoping to find out what you all believe to be true about this. My newly adopted sweetheart, Charlie (1+ yo rat terrier mix) has the smelliest anal area. His mouth doesn't smell so great either! Could that indicate that it's his whole digestive tract or is his bad breathe just from trying to clean the "south-end"? He does seem to have some food allergies - when I got him, the paperwork from the rescue showed the vet commented on his red, irritated skin. I put him on rice & chicken kibble with no corn/wheat. His skin seems better. He seems to have instant WORSE stink whenever he gets overly excited from say the arrival of a visitor to the house, etc. (workin' on that.). I have tried to "express" the glands since I've read that most anyone can... I can't. Internet searches indicate that pumpkin and coconut flakes & oil daily can take care of anal gland problems. Is this to be trusted? Thanks, any advice is appreciated!

Comments (6)

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

I don't know about coconut, but pumpkin is good for dogs. It contains digestive enzymes and lots of nutrients. I give small amounts to my collie with his food from time to time. However it sounds like your little doggie should see a vet about the anal gland problem. Pumpkin is not likely to be a cure-all for what could be some sort of infection or impaction.

• calliope
    13 years ago

No, not everyone should try to express anal glands. You can seriously hurt a dog or cat if you don't do it properly. Bad breath in dogs often is a tooth issue. But a vet should have already assessed that. I take it you have not followed up since adopting with your own vet? Please do this.......they often receive a different level of care on an individual basis than they get in shelters. Most shelter animals are vetted upon input, but not thereafter unless the staff or volunteers see the need, and you may not be able to depend on their input depending on whether they have hired vet technicians, or lay staff.

The first thing I do when I adopt from a pound or shelter is to swing them by my vet for a complete check-up. They have found conditions totally missed by the shelter and shelter vetting is not a substitute for their home care. If you don't have a vet, it's time to find one instead of waiting for an emergency.

• glaserberl
    13 years ago

I agree with Calliope. When adopting an animal from our Animal Rescue league part of the contract you sign requires you to take your new pet to your own vet within 3 business days. They have a whole list of vets who do the exam for free.
    Katharina

• Ninapearl
    13 years ago

i agree with all of the above. one question...are his stools firm? when a dog poops, as long as their stool is firm, they pretty much take care of expressing the anal glands themselves. however, that doesn't mean it can't still "back up" and they should be expressed by someone trained to do it. if you've never done it before, don't start until you have a knowledgeable person show you. also, the smell from them being expressed is pretty nasty. i'd rather pay the vet or groomer to do it!

as for his breath, that is very likely either a problem with one or more teeth or simply a build-up of tartar. both problems should be addressed with your vet.

have fun with the little guy and thank you for giving a shelter dog a loving home!!! :)

• trancegemini_wa
    13 years ago

no don't try and express the anal glands yourself. Even when vets do it, it doesnt always go to plan (I've had two different dogs over the years that ended up with an infection after a vet expressed the glands), but if it needs doing just get a vet to do it. You can hold your dog while the vet does it (and trust me you want to turn your head the other way because it smells godawful!). Once they get blocked the best thing is to just get it done (it only takes a few minutes for the vet to do it).

• lovemypups
    13 years ago

Oh gosh, it sounds to me that Charlie's anal glands are overproductive - no? If he's expressing them when he's excited with company. Pups typically express them from an onset of stress. One of my pups, Vayla, would express hers as soon as we walked into the vet's office :)

You may want to Google 'overproductive anal glands'. But I wholeheartedly agree with the sage advice from the previous posters and speak with your vet.

I agree with tracigemini, too. I wouldn't express them - Charlie could get an absess or an infection, as previously noted.

Hugs to sweet Charlie from my four monsters :)