Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlbean2004

My coworker said my dog was ugly! what do you think?

tlbean2004
9 years ago

I showed my coworker this picture of my dog and she said he was ugly! I think he is so cute. :)

What do you think?

Comments (81)

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This post has turned very serious and it was meant as a light hearted question. I dont REALLY care what someone thinks about my dog.

Yes it is sad to have him locked up while i am at work, but i cant have him getting out the yard.
    The next door neighbour has a small child and they may not like a pitbull mix roaming around in their yard. Also, he has gotten under the fence and messed up the garden of the people who live behind me.

He was able to stay outside for 2 years without having to be chained up. It was only when the dog next dog got there did he start trying and accomplishing getting out.

If he gets out he will just walk up and down the street for a while and then comeback home and wait for me under the carport.

But he is just not friendly with kids, so i am not comfortable with him getting loose.

i love bonky!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

You need to fix your fence so he can be chain free. There are things you can do to fix it and there may be rescue groups that might help you. You never know. Make it a priority.

I know you love him, but you still haven't said why you don't bring him inside more? And is he on flea and heartworm prevention all year? Does he get long walks and time to play with other dogs regularly/often?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

tlbean2004:

Please don't let anthropomorphizing posters get to you. Your dog looks fine.

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

Get him neutered and fix your fence. That will solve the roaming issue, thus solving the lock around his neck. He is a very handsome dog!

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Aurora :)
    And i still ant decide which hoya i want! lol

• petra_gw
    9 years ago

Quoting what you wrote above "(he would rather be inside permanently)", why can't he live inside with you?

And re. neutering, it fixes lots of aggression issues as well as roaming. He is a handsome dog and looks very happy in the photo where he is inside with you.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

tlbean:

I think your dog looks fine. It's your fellow pet owners that concern me. Talk about a judgemental wolfpack. I've never seen a forum turn on someone like they have on you.

Pet owners take note. Pets are bred and housed solely for humans needs. Housebound pets have no real purpose in life, no real life. They're very much akin to prisoners. Sure there are lots of pack members around but for no purpose.

Wild animals have a real life: territory, struggles, victories and defeats. Household pets have boredom, lack of exercise, fake families, and no purpose other than any other livestock. Not to mention unhealthy inbred (purebred, ha!!) dogs that are manipulated solely to meet someones definition of pretty.

Zoos are beginning to realize the shortcomings of captivity and trying to improve animal conditions. Not that much can really be done other than to upsize the prison. Most pet owners still seem to lack any clue.

• petra_gw
    9 years ago

Fruitnut, since you consider house pets prisoners, do you approve of chaining/confining a pet in a backyard most of the time?

9 years ago

petra:

Would you be happy neutered, on a leash, and led around by a "superior being" in charge of everything? Would it matter how much they loved you, how good the food, or how easy the living?

This post was edited by fruitnut on Sun, Dec 28, 14 at 23:17

• emma
    9 years ago

I think they turned on her for the sake of the chained up dog. I am sure that they are trying to get a better environment for the poor dog. If he lived next door to me I would call the police about it being chained all the time. I think some people keep dogs like this because they are afraid and think it will keep them safe. I tiny dog in the house will warn you if someone comes around. Some times an eye for eye sounds like fit punishment for some people.

• petra_gw
    9 years ago

fruitnut, that was an honest question on my part re. chained/confined to backyard. I completely agree neither constantly confined indoors nor outdoors is ideal and goes against animal nature. Dogs with jobs plus a cushy place next to their people at night seem to be happiest.

• Ninapearl
    9 years ago

"Pet owners take note. Pets are bred and housed solely for humans needs. Housebound pets have no real purpose in life, no real life. They're very much akin to prisoners. Sure there are lots of pack members around but for no purpose."

i can't even believe i just read that ^. i have 2 great danes, they are both house dogs. they have 10 acres fenced with underground fencing and a dog door they are free to use 24/7. no real purpose? what does that even mean?

just...wow!

and to the OP, fix the fence, get your dog neutered and let him have some freedom. if you don't want him in your house all the time, at least make his outside life more bearable!

9 years ago

The real issue is people who fail to realize the richness of life of wild animals compared to the cramped existence of pets. Dogs have all the brainpower of wolves, their distant grandparents. But wolves have no fences and 100,000 acres; mothers, fathers, and relatives; prey to outsmart and catch; rival packs to fend off; etc etc. Do you really feel that neutered on 10 acres with a fence and food served 24/7 is a fully comparable existence?

I'm not looking to argue the issue just raise awareness. I've stated my position and wish all pet owners the best.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Fruitnut, domestic dogs are not wild animals, any more than domestic horses or chickens. Most would not last long if left to fend for themselves.

Your description of a typical wold animal sounds like a tough life: territorial disputes, which stink if you're the loser; finding prey - which leaves you hungry when you fail; rival packs to fend off - who may kill you (as can your intended prey); thousands of acres - with minimal shelter from the elements.

Many domestic dogs DO have jobs: hunting, herding, snuggling with their people. Many pet owners provide their pets with stimulation and exercise, including walks, games, toys, and interaction with their people and other dogs.

My brother often says if there's reincarnation, he wants to come back as one of his wife's pets.

• spedigrees z4VT
    9 years ago

Annkh, you said it well. Wild animals have short lives compared to domestic animals. They fall victim to parasites, disease, and predation. In summer they are tormented by biting flies, ticks, and mosquitos, and in winter they face severe weather and food shortage. I think fruitnut has been drinking the PETA coolaid. PETA wants to remove all domestic animals from the landscape including pets, guide dogs for the blind, riding horses, feral horses, feral cats, and on and on. And they use this inane non-logic to try to accomplish this end.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"Would you be happy neutered, on a leash, and led around by a "superior being" in charge of everything? Would it matter how much they loved you, how good the food, or how easy the living?"

Definition of ANTHROPOMORPHIZE

transitive verb
    : to attribute human form or personality to
    intransitive verb
    : to attribute human form or personality to things not human
    ��" an·thro·po·mor·phi·za·tion noun

Here's yer problem.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Agreed, Trebruchet.

In my first response to the OP, I was not going by the dog's facial expression but by the behavior she describes, the weight of the heavy lock around his neck, and the fact that it doesn't sound like he gets to be in the house near his pack (human family) very often. Since dogs are pack animals, they need that interaction and socialization.

You can't go by dog's facial expressions. Our dog always looks worried. She has very expressive eyebrows and a brow that is always furrowed even when asleep. Her tale could be wagging like heck and she could be playing her favorite games, running after sticks and balls, chewing on a yummy hoof stuffed with a bacon/cheese mixture (with her eyes rolled back in her head in delight) and she could stop, look at you, tail wagging, and still look worried. So, yeah, it's silly to determine this dog's level of happiness by the facial expression. That's also anthropomorphizing.

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

tlbean, RE: the hoyas, shoot me an email with a list of what you already have and I will provide you with some you don't. I will let you know what care they require.

• noah01
    9 years ago

Your dog is not ugly, he is just unhappy. Unlock him & let him roam free.

• Terrell
    9 years ago

tlbean2004,

Your dog is beautiful, I understand why you have the lock and completely understand not being able to afford to fix a fence. Most locks that size are most definitely NOT too heavy especially for a large/medium sized dog. The simple question you asked originally in this post has turned into a discussion blown out of proportion, even with your very simple and completely logical explanation. Your dog is beloved I can tell and quite simply is not mistreated in any fashion. We had an outdoor rat terrier who had a near two acre yard to himself. He was very antisocial and would nip any visitors and was very protective of our family...the reason he was outside was because he would kill cats and any other small pets (we had several cats/toads/reptiles etc)..he simply could not come inside...it was more humane to keep him outside with room to roam instead of locked in a room indoors. Of course we would bring him inside under extreme circumstances. Our yard was completely shaded by pecan trees along the river and Reno (dogs name) had so much stimulation from waterfowl and squirrels he was the happiest (mean) dog ever. We loved him for his flaws. Much love sent your way.

• annzgw
    9 years ago

The OP is at least recognizing the aggression his dog has and is taking responsibility in keeping neighbors, kids and other dogs safe.
    I agree the chain and lock are too large and if there's no worry about someone stealing your dog then there's no reason you can't use a quick-link or other lightweight locking system. Edit: I just noticed in your pic that you have a quick-link on the chain, so I assume you're worried about the quick-link coming off the collar while you're not home.
    Keep in mind that besides leading to skin sores, the weight of the chain/lock can lead to neck and spinal problems.
    My guess is the dog is destructive when left alone indoors so I can understand having to leave him outdoors while the OP is gone.
    Even tho he's a 'tough' dog he is still a short-haired dog that needs warm bedding on a cold day.....so if he destroys blankets or drags them out of the dog house, try adding hay/straw inside his dog house to provide more insulation and warmth.
    Oh.......and he is very cute......and healthy looking.

This post was edited by annz on Wed, Dec 31, 14 at 15:54

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

Your dog isn't automatically entitled to someone else's vision of what constitutes "perfect living arrangements", so why not ignore the sanctimony and those who choose to interpret your picture as evidence of mistreatment? .... quite a leap.

You have a large and sturdy dog, so what does it matter whether your dog is attached to an appropriate weight chain by a lock or a ribbon? It's not about appearance - it's about FUNCTION. The lock weighs an ounce or two more than any other fastener appropriate for attaching your dog to the chain - certainly not a burden for a strong dog like yours - and the idea the lock is going to create sores and the chain will create neck/spinal problems is just silly (unless your dog is one of those that hits the end of the chain going 30 MPH every time he sees or hears something).

As a younger man, I raised and trained German Shorthaired Pointer hunting dogs. These dogs ALL lived outdoors in MI, and while I can't see myself owning a dog today that I had to keep on a chain, your explanation of why the dog is chained seems reasonable to me.

I think that as pet owners, we owe the pet our best effort to see it doesn't suffer. Neither the picture nor your comments give any reason to believe you've crossed that threshold - no matter what I might think about the chain.

Finally, if you had taken a picture of you tossing and your dog chasing a Frisbee in the park, the dog would immediately be judged cute and you a fine pet owner - same dog ... same owner. For people who can't reason, their perception is their reality and they will always be limited by that fact.

Al

• spedigrees z4VT
    9 years ago

Having a knowledge of a dog's biology and psychology does not qualify as anthropomorphism. Dogs are pack animals, and being kept all alone on a chain in a yard with no walks, no social stimulation of any kind is cruel. Consult with any animal trainer, even those I might disagree with, and you will find none who will refute this.

Not neutering a dog who is not intended for breeding purposes is irresponsible, and again, you will find no credible persons in the fields of training, showing, rescue, or veterinary medicine to refute this.

A dog with a canine buddy or two could live outdoors happily enough if they had jobs to do outside of this confinement on a regular basis, and if they were loose in the yard, not chained. But this dog is a pet, with no other friends but his owner, who in my opinion, is not much of a friend.

This post was edited by spedigrees on Thu, Jan 1, 15 at 12:39

• lucillle
    9 years ago

"Not neutering a dog who is not intended for breeding purposes is irresponsible, and again, you will find no credible persons in the fields of training, showing, rescue, or veterinary medicine to refute this."

I used to think this, but there are a growing number of people who have different ideas.
    There is a growing body of knowledge that shows that neutering is not the panacea it was once billed to be, and that neutering early can alter growth patterns.

• jaynine
    9 years ago

Your dog's cute. Your treatment of him is ugly.

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Look what i brought!!!

• jackieblue
    9 years ago

tlbean2004, If you'd like to get your dog off that chain perhaps you might consider reaching out to a group called 'Dogs Deserve Better' and ask if they can help you get your fence fixed. I know they have helped people in the past get their fences fixed so dogs didn't need to be chained. They will probably ask that you get the dog neutered but really that would be in your best interest anyhow as it will cut down on aggressiveness and the desire to roam.

So happy to see that you love your dog and are interesting in doing right by him. He's a cutie and he certainly loves you too.

Best wishes for you and your pup.

• jackieblue
    9 years ago

From the Dogs Desrve Better website:

If you are here because you currently keep your dog chained or penned, we applaud your efforts to give him/her a better life. Browse the articles section for tips on housetraining and fencing. If you need help, contact us at info@dogsdeservebetter.org. We will help you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dogs Deserve Better

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks jackie!

I sent them an email to ask if maybe they can help me.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

That's great that you are open to making a change, tlbean2004.

There was a sad story in my local paper this morning concerning an 11 month old german shepherd named Rocky who chewed off his own foot to get himself free from a chain that had become entangled on his leg, cutting off the blood supply to his foot. He is recovering, but his ghastly ordeal could have been avoided. There is a law here against chaining dogs for more than three hours in a 24 hour period, but it is really up to the dog's owners to protect them. The law didn't help Rocky without his owner's cooperation.

According to the article, chained dogs are almost three times more likely to bite. According to experts, chaining a dog is inhumane; they need interaction and exercise, and chaining them causes extreme psychological damage. Many become anxious and agressive when chained over time.

I hope you find a better solution to keeping your dog out of harms way than chaining him in the back yard. Best of luck to you and your dog.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

Replying to the original question:
    Why would anyone in their right mind respond that way, unless they're a complete jerk?

• shadylady2u
    9 years ago

Your dog is cute. You're the ugly one! I'd like to chain you up so you can see how it feels. :(

• Grrrl
    9 years ago

First of all, your dog is beautiful. There are no ugly dogs. Your neighbor was very rude for saying that. Second, if your dog would rather be inside then why isn't she (or he)? I have three big dogs that live inside (and, yes, they sleep on the bed). I understand your concern about her or him running off and possibly biting someone, but your dog should be treated as a member of your family. That is a pretty big chain and it cannot be comfortable.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

Some dogs can be very destructive when left alone - esp. inside...

• Grrrl
    9 years ago

I realize that but it sounds like the dog is outside most of the time. What about when the owners are home? Can't he be inside then? She said he prefers being inside. I just hate to see dogs chained up all of the time.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

The dog in the OP photo looks healthy & well-cared for & also a bit on the elderly side, judging by the white hairs on its face. Its coat looks healthy as well. Why presume that it is being treated badly?

It also has a rather human-looking face & expression - maybe that's what the coworker was reacting to...?

• Marilyn A
    7 years ago

Wow! I know this is an old post, but had to write something. Your dog is quite handsome. I wish he could come to live "inside" my house and my husband could go live "outside" your house!

tlbean2004 thanked Marilyn A
  • tlbean2004
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here is a recent pic of him.

• Marilyn A
    7 years ago

Here is a recent pic of "him". Can we trade?

• Marilyn A
    7 years ago

How is he doing? Is he done with his treatment?

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, he is done with his treatment and doing well.

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago

I was just reading this thread, and noted someone suggested an electric fence rather than a chain. I'd like to agree with the electric fence... but sometimes even if they've been trained to stay inside, some times something will call them to go out. My sister in law lost her dog that way. He'd been let out to do his business, but something must have attracted him enough to bounce past that fence. He went missing. My brother found him a day later, hit by the train that runs nearby.

That dog was an amazing dog - also a pit bull mix. I'm wondering if a run would be a good solution, give the dog a chance to move around more without getting into a situation like the wonderful one I just wrote about. (That dog had been indoors about 95% of the time.)

• andy99mich
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Marilyn- LOL That made me laugh! Tlbeans, I'm glad you took action- on another post you said he's not inside often only because he chews on furniture.... Well, right now he looks very happy and content. The only thing... The video brought up of a puppy of your friend's... It was taken down by YouTube because of the content. I haven't seen it, but posting it seems questionable in my opinion. A small suggestion that's come up- a run would be great for your dog! My current dog and the one that just passed away had/have a run outside with a pool for hot summer days! Hope this doesn't seem like I'm berating you, have a great new year's!

Edited- your dog is very handsome, no dog could ever be ugly (except for pugs)! ;)

• gardenerlorisc_ia
    7 years ago

Those electric fences do not protect the dog inside from another animal coming in and attacking them or someone coming and stealing your dog. Also, if a dog wants to go through that fence they will. I watched the neighbor's dog run through their fence yelping all the way. Seems like that was the kind that is not buried but has a base and gives them beeps to stop going through the fence and a mild shock if they do.

A regular electric fence like farmers use ( an electrically charged wire) on the inside of your regular fence would work and he would have the freedom to run around.

I also want to point out that the quick links do not have a swivel so as the dog is running around the chain will get a twist in it.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

Marilyn A, that is just about the unkindest post and picture that I have ever seen. To take a picture of someone in an unguarded moment and then say you would like to see this man chained outside is beyond words. If you cannot respect this person why are you with him; is it only to make him the butt of an ugly joke?

• agmss15
    7 years ago

Wow this is a cantankerous old thread.

Not it sure the OP will see this. Where I come from 'ugly' can mean 'unattractive' or it can mean 'bad tempered' or 'in a bad mood'. Maybe that was what your neighbor meant. I can remember telling someone their baby was ugly once mid- temper tantrum. It didn't go well. Lol.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    7 years ago

I agree. Some people never learn that the world isn't a perfect place, and no one has an obligation to conform to what Sally or Sam requires in order that they might have a good day.

Al

• Ellie RK
    7 years ago

Where I come from ugly means ugly. I wouldn't care whether someone meant looks, or personality, it's still a nasty comment.

I once had someone say to one of my bulldogs in a baby voice "you don't look like you've missed too many meals." I said, "neither do you." She didn't like it either.

Your pup is beautiful, tlbean2004. Only ugly is the person who made that comment.

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago

I would never tell someone I thought their dog was ugly any more than I would tell someone that I thought their baby was ugly. Ever. Mind you, I've seen a few ugly dogs (that one at the top of the thread is NOT), but if he or she were, I'd never tell anyone that!