Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Toxic mushrooms

Posted by elly_nj (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 10, 09 at 6:59

A CCI puppy raiser sent me this note about mushrooms:

Bay Area Dogs - I received this from a friend active in the canine community in the Sonoma area. I don't know where else these mushrooms may grow. Sending along for information. Tammi
Can you help to spread the word that the Amanita phalloides, the death cap mushroom, has come out in full force since the rains started. We had one death at Lake 2 weekends ago, and PETS emergency clinic in Berkeley called on Friday and said they have had 3 deaths in 6 days - all from the Oakland area.

The mushrooms have a sweet odor (like honey) and are attractive to some dogs (whose owners report they actually seek them out to eat them). They are really non descript little white mushrooms.

The toxic effects appear about 6-36 hours after the mushrooms are eaten, and once signs are seen the toxicity is poorly responsive to treatment (we try a lot of things to support the animal, but if enough mushrooms were eaten it will be fatal despite the treatment).

If someone suspects their dog may have eaten a mushroom, the best treatment is to take the dog immediately to a vet or emergency clinic and have them induce vomiting and give activated charcoal. The mushroom toxin is absorbed fairly rapidly, but the damage to the liver can take hours before it is clinically apparent. Don't waste time trying to figure out if the mushroom is toxic as speed in removing the mushroom from the digestive system is the most important thing in my experience.

Here is a link with some pictures
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_phalloides

Here is a link that might be useful: Amanita_phalloides


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Toxic mushrooms

I know they are here in NC as well. I've seen some dogs who have eaten these mushrooms- they have all died of liver failure. Unfortunately these mushrooms can look just like anything pretty much. Once you figure out the mushrooms are toxic, the dog's liver is already trashed and it will die. So as mentioned above, if your dog eats a mushroom outside, give it hydrogen peroxide by mouth IMMEDIATELY until the dog vomits, then take it to the vet right away.


 o
RE: Toxic mushrooms

Meghane can you also use peroxide if the dog licks a poison toad? Just curious in case it ever happens.


 o
RE: Toxic mushrooms

Usually when people (mostly from other countries) eat them, they need a minimum of 2 liver transplants. Best way to prevent this - leash your dog while out for walks.
A mushroom is the flowering body of a mychorrzial strain, and these strains are susually linked to a particular type of tree. If you can avoid going into wooded areas are Coast live Oaks, buckeyes (a member of the chestnut tree) and some pines and spruce trees. These trees grow in abundance in the open space areas of many areas in California and other states. If you dont want to leash your dog, then take it to the beach or to the local (dog) park.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here