Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ninapearl_gw

another successful adoption

Ninapearl
11 years ago

this dane, zeus, (the fawn) was surrendered to the local all breed rescue here on thanksgiving day. he is 3 years old and just the sweetest dog! i brought him out to the farm to see how he would mesh with my 2 danes and they were all fabulous together. only problem...zeus has a seizure disorder and after much consideration, i decided that, since i don't crate my dogs and i work full time right now, it would be better to place him in a foster home that is familiar with this problem.

i called my go-to guy in st. louis who is the head of the rescue there and he agreed to foster him. i delivered him last saturday (he rode for 90 minutes with his big ole head on my shoulder). steve had him for less than 24 hours before he decided he would adopt him permanently. of course, i am over the moon with happiness! steve changed his name to "simon". he is fitting like a glove!

here he is with his new brother, alfredo (white deafie) and sister, olive. :)

{{!gwi}}

**happy dance!!!**

Comments (14)

• jomuir
    11 years ago

Simon looks right at home with his new family. What handsome dogs Danes are, one of my fav. breeds. Good job helping him find a suitable, loving home!

• trancegemini_wa
    11 years ago

great job nina! It sounds like he's found the perfect home and he looks like a real sweetie too.

• Lily316
    11 years ago

What lovely dogs . I'm sure Simon WILL fit like a glove into the family. Danes are special.

• cas66ragtop
    11 years ago

deleted my own post

This post was edited by cas66ragtop on Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 23:18

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

when i adopted my second dane, she was 3 years old, a sadly neglected girl afraid of her own shadow not to mention everything else she encountered. she came to rescue named "serena". seriously?? c'mon! the day i brought her home, i changed her name to suit her better..."swee' pea".

it never seemed to affect her in the least.

i'm looking at a young female dane, 18 months, for a potential adoptee. right now her name is "bella". if she comes here, that'll change!

• cas66ragtop
    11 years ago

deleted my own post

This post was edited by cas66ragtop on Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 23:19

• Lily316
    11 years ago

My Dachshund rescued from a kill shelter in WVA was named Parker. He was 3 or 4 and I changed his name to Wally. A few weeks later , he never even looked when someone said Parker.

• cas66ragtop
    11 years ago

deleted my own post

This post was edited by cas66ragtop on Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 23:20

• weed30 St. Louis
    11 years ago

A dog of any age will learn a new name easily. I adopted a beagle who was about a year old, and a cattle dog mix who was somewhere between 8 and 10 years old. The beagle was a stray, and the cattle dog was abandoned, so there was no way of knowing their original names. They both learned their new names quickly - I'd guess within a week or so. You use your pet's name often while interacting, so they make the connection in a short amount of time.

Heck, if I was a dog and someone was feeding me, walking me, rubbing my belly and giving me a warm place to sleep, all the while calling me a new name, I'd learn pretty fast too!

• jomuir
    11 years ago

we changed one of our rescues name. he was being called Quillan by the rescue group, because he had a face full of porcupine quills. he knew the name, but DH came up with 'Forrest' and he learned it very quickly. maybe because he'd only had the other name for a few months. Other dogs that had established names, we haven't changed.

• michael_so_fl
    11 years ago

If I was a rescued dog you could call me anything you want except "too late for dinner".

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL michael!

simon is doing great in his new home! steve often posts pics of him on facebook and tells of his antics. apparently, he is an expert counter surfer. putting the loaf of bread on top of the fridge didn't help so now everything is put behind cabinet doors.

simon's seizures are under control with meds and he is a happy, happy boy!

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    11 years ago

I love hearing such a happy ending, Nina!!!

Good luck finding your newest friend!!

PS My old dog, Murray, was called "Benjamin" by the shelter. But he looked just like Murray on Mad About You, so of course I changed his name. LOL

• boxerpups
    11 years ago

May his 2013 be a wonderful year with love and affection.