Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trinigemini

Cat Genie....for dog poop?

trinigemini
14 years ago

Some of you may know I have been looking for the best way to dispose of dog poop. Well an infomercial came on about the cat genie. Now I never thought about it before...but can I use the cat genie for dog poop?

I don't expect the dog to use it, I would have to pick the poop up and dispose of it in the cat genie. But it seems like something I could put outside close to their area, possibly even enclosed and it would be my outside dog potty.

Any thoughts/experience with this product from dog people or cat people?

Oh I guess I should say my dog is an english bull and we will be getting another one.....would it be too much for the cat genie? She eats origen so her poop is small and firm.

Comments (18)

• olyagrove
    14 years ago

My friend has one and I am looking into buying one or two - for cats
    Sounds like a waste of resources if your only concern is for disposing....Maybe I am confused?

Cat Genie costs about 300 dollars, plus you need to refill the cleaning solution that you buy from the company that makes CatGenie.
    CG can be hooked up to the sewage line and needs to be close to water hook up.

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

you could also compost the poop, and they sell pet poop composters in my country that you use only for the pet poop so you collect it up put it in the little composter and put the lid back on but I found this a while ago on how to make your own and this is going to be much cheaper than a cat genie and just easier I think.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dog waste composter

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

this is probably a better page to start on so I should have posted this link instead - it leads you to the home made dog waste composter instructions as well

dog waste composting

• trinigemini
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is only for waste disposal. The cost is not an issue. I just hate having dog poop all over the yard. And I really don't know what to do with it.

My parents use a garbage can that they just throw the poop in, but it smells everytime it is opened and is kind of gross.

I've spoken to a few people who say the best thing to do with dog poop is flush it down the toilet. I figured the cat genie would be perfect because it puts the waste in the regular septic tank.

All of the dog septic systems require you to add water to it. (not really a problem but I'm looking for something even easier). The cat genie adds the water for you. Although I did not know about the cleaner refill. It just seemed interesting in the commercial.

The other option we are considering....the septic guy said he could rig something up for me that would connect to our septic tank. I have no idea what that is though because he was speaking to my DH.

• olyagrove
    14 years ago

Trini, CatGenie is overkill. It does a cycle , and you can either schedule it or I guess do manual, but it cleans the entire thing while doing the cycle. My friend's complaint was that is uses hot water and has to make the poo dissolve in water, which does have some unpleasant smell associated with it.
    Most are set up to connect to the toilet, so one had to flush the toilet. It is possible to connect it directly to sewer line- but for the trouble, might as well, just flush it down the toilet (instead of having to go through a cycle of washing that really is meant to wash off the beads used as cat litter...)

It works great for cat owners -especially when traveling. My friend did have a cat sitter come in every third day to check on the cats and the Genie, as it did get stuck a few times

I put my cats' stuff in brown paper bag, have a special trashcan and take the trashcan out twice a week. Does not smell all that bad, unless you pick up the lid and stick your head in the trashcan...

• schoolhouse_gw
    14 years ago

I take a shovel and flip the poo over into the weeds by the edge of the field! I have two dogs (used to have three) and I like to clean up the yard at least every day or every other day. I hate when we have a big snow, can't find the deposits until the snow melts and then - wow. The yard is like a mine field.

The septic hook-up sounds great, but the installation fee would be a killer I bet. Plus as mentioned, you'd have to at least have a water source that would be powerful enough to flush the poo down thru the sewer line to the septic tank (if not putting it into your toilet).

• annzgw
    14 years ago

Sounds like all you need is a Mutt Mitt..........

If you use small garbage can bags to dump the poop in, you can tie them off before tossing into a larger can. That will prevent any odors.

Here is a link that might be useful: poop scooper

• trinigemini
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Olya you have convinced me against cat genie.

Schoolhouse...I flip into plants now...but we will soon be adding another dog to our family and I just thought the smell might be bad with more poop.

annz...never heard of mutt mitt before but it sounds interesting.

trance thanks for the info...we may end up doing it that way.

• mazer415
    14 years ago

Man - I can hardly believe this thread. We use the plastic bag the newspaper comes in or a plastic shopping bag, Into the trash can which gets picked up once a week.
    Tossing your dog waste into the plants in or near your yard is a recipe for a number of health problems, inclduing possibly getting a fungal infection or worms, or any of a number of serious other diseases. Just bag it and toss it. Here in Northern California the waste management discourages dumping any pet waste into the toilets, since there are a number of parasites and diseases that dont get broken down during waste treatment, and the Sea Otters are getting sick due to diseases transferred through waste water and pet feces.

• trinigemini
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mazer...in Florida, most homes have septic tanks with their own leech fields. I've been told that flushing it is the best thing to do.

The problem with using plastic bags is we really try to avoid using them...we carry cloth bags when we go to the store. We also do not order newspapers because of the waste of paper.

• olyagrove
    14 years ago

I buy brown paper bags - they are made from recycled paper (huge box of them from Sams). I too avoid using plastic bags, and since flushing cat litter and poop is not an option with cats, I think brown recycled paper bags are a good compromise.

• schoolhouse_gw
    14 years ago

I agree flipping poo into plants,esp.with two dogs, will make your yard begin to smell like a kennel. Sounds like your best bet would be to collect it in a bag, seal it, and toss in your garbage can. After all, that's where diapers go.

If you could afford it, hire a pooper scooper to come to your house and clean up and dispose of all the poo. Wonder what they do with it all?

• trinigemini
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Money is not an issue....but I would not hire a pooper scooper. I do not mind picking up the poop. i am just trying to figure out the best way to dispose of it. I tend to monitor her poop to know how she is doing, I think if I hired a pooper I would be much less informed on her digestive health.

Paper bags might work...I just really don't understand why dog poop is so much different from other animals poop and why it can't be composted...I mean I know all the arguments....just not sure I believe all the hype.

They even have toilets to compost human poop ...I can't imagine a dogs diet is that much worse than humans.

• quasifish
    14 years ago

I'll throw in my .02 FWIW. We had a doggie septic system- hated it. Never worked right. Not that you were considering that...

We found just burying it to be the best option. Dig a hole behind an ornamental shrub and go from there. It breaks down fast enough that you can rebury in the same area before much time.

I think it was someone on this forum who once commented that they would dig a series of inconspicuous holes in an area of their yard and drop the poop into one of those. When one hole had enough, or was starting to smell foul, they would cover it and start with the next hole. Again, it decomposes rapidly when buried in small quantities. Is there some reason you can't do something like this?

• trinigemini
    Original Author
    14 years ago

digging holes sound like a good idea...but I though dog poop was supposedly bad to put back in the soil? isn't burying it in the soil kind of the same as composting it...or is it different?

We had been thinking about some kind of doggie septic but heard that way was bad also. So then we thought about disposing somehow in the human septic, which we heard was the best, but I forgot that it would need some kind of water source. We may still go this route....I have to talk to the septic guy after we move.

See the problem is I plan on growing lots of fruits and veggies and was afraid of the dog poop contaminating edible plants. Or should I not even be concerned about this?

• forestelves
    14 years ago

Start Vemicomposting in a large trash can or bin. Just throw the dog waste in bin and let the worms feast.

Look in the Soil, Composting and Mulch forum because that's a big topic there. Search composting dog or cat waste.

You can also bury the poop in the flower garden.

• trinigemini
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank You Thank you Thank you.....I checked out the soil forum...didn't even know there was on.....I am going with worms...they eat the poop and make it safe and clean. Plus I can get the set up the tumbleweed for poop and its all cute and tidy. This is perfect and exactly what I was looking for....but didn't know it :-)

• vieja_gw
    13 years ago

when we buy the huge bags of dog food we dump it into a garbage can to keep it. But we save the empty bag in another garbage can & it gets re-used for the dog poop we scoop up & throw the bag in the trash later. We live in a dry climate so no odor from the bag while being used this way. I don't think burying it & using it as a fertilizer in the garden would be of much benefit like cow or chicken manure would.