Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will mama cat and kitten remember each other?

Posted by mr8868 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 29, 11 at 2:46

A friendship gone sour has left us to take back furniture we were selling to a friend and also a 12 week old kitten from the mama we have and had given to the friend. The kitten is male, now 6 months old and has been seperated for 3 months.

Will they remember each other and be on good terms? Mama is not on great terms yet with my other 3 cats although they are working on it. I don't want to take the kitten back if it won't work out, but I don't trust this ex-friend with him either.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will mama cat and kitten remember each other?

I'm sorry to hear that you've lost a friend.
I have been reading and trying to help get an answer to your question, and from what I have seen, generally they do not remember their babies, as a human mother would remember hers. It does go on to say that after both cats have been reintroduced, that they may fuss and fight for a while, but as long as no one gets injured in the fighting they will sort out their own 'pecking order'. And will most likely come to get used to each other, in some cases being the best of friends, and in others only tolerating the others existence....I hope this was some help. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I am may be of more assistance. Hope it works out for you.

o

You really won't know until you introduce them. Bring the kitten in and isolate him to one room just as you would any new cat. You'll know pretty soon if mama remembers him.

Has mama been spayed and has the kitten been neutered? If not, I'd have both done before bringing in the kitten.

o

Yes, both cats have been altered. We'll cross our fingers and see!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here