Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitten has a crusty rough nose...Please advise

Posted by goodfun58 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 29, 07 at 1:49

We just brought home a 3 month old kitten and I am concerned about his nose/health and what the condition might mean. His little nose is crusty and rough...difficult to explain. Has anyone experienced this with a kitten/cat? My vet said he has a
upper respitory (msp) infection with lungs being very congested and gave amox. Kitten does get a little matter in corner of his eyes but I thought that was because he sleeps so much. His breeder said he is not sick and her vet said the nose thing is the result of how he eats his food. OK, went to another vet for second opinion and he said he could not hear anything in lungs.
Only to notice the second vet is wearing a hearing aid.

This little kitten eats well...raw rabbit and I have been
adding raw beef, chicken, and core dry cat food for free feeding. He has lots of energy and sleeps soundly. Has great littler box habits. Bottom line, he does not act sick.

Just wondering what you folks have experienced. We just love this little guy terribly and do not want anything
to happen to him if it can be avoided.

Thanks guys

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitten has a crusty rough nose...Please advise

I recently raised a single bottle-fed kitten, and when I weaned her, her eating habits left lots to be desired. Her face was a mess and I had to clean her up regularly, or else her nose would get caked with food, as she did not learn to groom from a mother.

Is that the case here? You can tell the difference between food and dried snot, To clean the dried food, get a little vaseline and work it on the nose (not on the holes!), and use a comb to comb it off. The, each time he eats, wipe him down well with a baby wipe.

A URI would show with sneezes and goopy eyes, and generally passes, like a cold.

o

I would go to another vet personally, but why did you get a second opinion in the first place when she had already seen 2 vets? You dont trust yours? Was it the first time you used this vet? It's hard to find a good one you and your pet both like.
Sounds like dried snot to me. When a cat is sick, they usually dont act sick until its too late. Your cat is young to be sick. You say you got her from a breeder? How did her other cats/kittens look? WHat breed is she? Is she around other animals? Has she been outside?
Eye boogies are pretty common in cats, is it thick and goopy or thin and stringy? Thick and goopy would indicate sickness..thin and stretchy/stringy like is normal.
Keep her on the amox as long as your supposed to, do not stop early, even if she seems to be OK.
If after the amox you notice her nose is the same, Maybe consider allergies.
Good luck.
Daniella

o

Thanks for the advise elly nj....I will follow your suggestions. I do so appreciate your support. We have had 4 kittens/cats and with the exception of one they died from old age in the late teens/early twenties. We did not know how lucky we were.

danielladell, I took the kitten 1 1/2 days after getting him. Because my vet said he was sick, his eyes (thick and goopy), nose and lung congestion were sym. and he has seen kittens die from URI. But the breeder (not in our area) was so adamant that he was not
sick, I just wanted another vet's opinion. The litter was 3 kittens but I only saw this little guy in person altho did see photos of the others. The breeder said one sister has the same nose problem. The breeder has other cats and a dog that I know of. The breeder said he has not been outside. I do believe that the breeder cares about her animals and I do not mean to imply that the breeder has done anything neglectful or sold a sick kitten knowingly. I do not want to return the kitten, I just want to do the right thing for him.

Maybe I am just getting used to it but his nose does seem a tad better today. I have been hand feeding him (as putting each bite into my hand and he loves to eat it out of my hand so I know he is not burying his nose in his food as he eats.

Many thanks to you guys for your time and support. I am trying to get an appt. today with yet another vet.
Don't want to lose this precious little one.

Sue

o

If the eyes are goopy, then he is sick.

o

The first thing that came to mind for me was Rhinotracheititis virus.
As far as the breeder saying the cat wasn't outside really doesn't matter. if it's a virus any cat in the house could have it even if they aren't showing any signs they could be the carrier.
If it were my cat I'd follow protocol from my Vet on how to treat whatever they think is going on as these things tend to get worse before they get better.

o

Want to report that the Specialty Cat Vet seems to think that our little kitten has URI and not any of the life threatening diseases. She did tests and everything was
negative. So we will add lycene to his food and she said the URI should go away. However, she did say that the way he eats (breeder's theory) has nothing to do with his nose.
So, after 3 vets looking at him altho I am sad he has this
I am now relieved that it is not something worse.

Thanks soooooo much all of you for holding my hand through all this. Your encouragement and suggestions have meant so much. I believe I thought if a kitten came from a breeder that shows and not a cat/dog factory or shop, they would be healthy. This old dog has learned something new.

Wishing all our animals a healthy 2008

o

So we will add lycene to his food and she said the URI should go away

Lysine is a treatment for feline Rhinotracheititis virus, better known as feline herpes.
I don't want to frighten you but there is more to it than I think you are aware of. If I were you I would look into the feline herpes group on yahoo. They are very helpful there and can fill you in on what to expect over all. Best of luck

o

Here's some info I found when googling Lysine..it's from the website California Veterinary Supply:

"What is feline herpes virus?

Feline herpes virus is an upper respiratory virus of cats. It is also known as rhinotracheitis virus. It is very common among cats, especially in environments where there are multiple cats or new cats are constantly interacting. The virus is spread through the air and replicates in the upper respiratory tract (nasal area, tonsils). The conjunctiva of the eye is also affected during the primary infection. Clinical signs of infection include sneezing and ocular and nasal discharge. In most cases the primary infection resolves with no residual ocular lesions. However, depending on the age when the cat is affected, the serotype of the virus (infectivity or strength of infection), and other factors, there may be various ocular signs. In very young cats, adhesions of the eyelids to each other or to the cornea may occur. Adult cats may experience recurrent conjunctivitis or corneal ulcers. The virus remains latent in the nerves that serve the eyes. When a cat is stressed or exposed to new serotypes (different strains) of herpes virus, the ocular disease can recur. There is some evidence that eosinophilic keratitis, plasmacytic-lymphocytic keratitis, corneal sequestrum, and some cases of anterior uveitis may be associated with feline herpes virus infection.

How do cats get feline herpes virus?

Most cats are affected as kittens, contracting the infection from their mothers. Stray cats, multi-cat households, and cats from households where new cats are constantly introduced are more likely to suffer infection. Feline herpes virus is not contagious to dogs or to humans but only affects cats.

How is feline herpes virus diagnosed?

History and clinical signs can diagnose ocular diseases caused by feline herpes virus. Aside from history and clinical signs, diagnostic tests for feline herpes virus include virus isolation, immunofluorescent antibody testing, polymerase chain reaction testing, serology, and cytology. Testing can be expensive and is generally reserved for specific cases. Tests that may not specifically detect the presence of herpes may be used to detect ocular disease caused by herpes. These tests include a Schirmer tear test (measuring tear production), corneal staining, and conjunctival biopsy.

How is feline herpes virus treated?

Treatment for feline herpes virus infections is nonspecific and generally directed at controlling secondary bacterial infection. A topical antibiotic such as tetracycline or erythromycin may be prescribed for use in the eye. Systemic antibiotics may also be prescribed. "

Here is a link that might be useful: Animal Health Channel forum for FHV

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here