Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bettylu_zone6a

How do you keep a cat from using the doggie door?

bettylu_zone6a
14 years ago

I recently had to have my wonderful cat Lindsey euthanized at the ripe age of 18. I am not ready yet to bring a new cat into my home, but I am thinking about it.

I worry, though, because I have a doggie door for my dogs and don't want my next kitty to stray. Lindsey never left the yard, but she was a stray that adopted US, so our home was where she wanted to be. If I adopt an adult cat, how will I know that it will want to stay and not leave?

It will be very hard if not impossible to keep the doggie door closed to the cat, although I guess it would take a little time for the cat to figure it out. Has anyone dealt with this and have you any suggestions?

Also, the pet rescue places won't let you adopt unless you say you won't let the cat out. I wouldn't do it purposely, but with a doggie door, how can I truthfully say it will never get out!

BettyLu

Comments (8)

• sue36
    14 years ago

There are dog doors that are enabled by a chip or something in the collar. If the cat doesn't have the "key", the door won't open. Other than that, I don't know what you could do. This is an ongoing issue for my sister, she has lost 3 cats to coyotes in the last two years, she finally had to close off the dog door to keep the new kitten in.

• izzie
    14 years ago

Maybe you can adopt a adult who has been raised indoors. One of my two cats is exclusively indoors, she is afraid of outside..The other one I ended up with and was let outside, she escapes all the time and I am running after her to catch her all the time. We live on a busy street and would get run over for sure.

• mazer415
    14 years ago

You can get pet doors that open when the animal with a special collar that opens the door goes through, after that it does not open for anyone else. They are great for keeping out wild animals as well....goodluck

• mariend
    14 years ago

Especially racoons! That happened to me and boy what fun. Our husky did not appreciate it but we (I) did get it out of the patio and gone. We didn't have too many in the area, thank goodness. We had a fence around the house so it did keep coyotes out and other critters.

• olyagrove
    14 years ago

I have a kitty door that is activated my magnets. We did it because coons were getting in at night to eat.
    Works fine - cats wear a little magnet on their collar and when they are getting close to the kitty door, the lock is disabled. Took some time for them to figure out, but not too long.

• bettylu_zone6a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all for your funny stories and suggestions! I live in a subdivision in the county... so really no problems with critters (at least in the last 4+ years since I had the door put in). Although once my cat brought in a baby opossom (unharmed) and delivered it to my daughter in the wee hours of the morning! I think she thought it was one of her babies - mind you, the cat was around 15 years old at the time and was spayed many years ago!

The problem with getting a door that has some kind of mechanism for triggering the lock/unlock feature is that I have 6 little dogs as well as the cat and I am not ready to purchase so many collars and changing the door itself. I had this door professionally installed when I had my sunroom put in and it is mounted in the wall - I hope never to have to change it out!

I acquired a stray from a friend a couple of days ago, and so far, he is uninterested in leaving the spare bedroom, much less leaving the house! LOL I think he is glad to be inside where it is warm and cozy!

BettyLu

• olyagrove
    14 years ago

I acquired a stray from a friend a couple of days ago, and so far, he is uninterested in leaving the spare bedroom, much less leaving the house! LOL I think he is glad to be inside where it is warm and cozy!

How wonderful. I was thinking to suggest also, to just wait for another stray kitty to take residence in your yard..but looks like you already have now by now :) Looks like a win for everyone, kitty included

• jop3395
    3 years ago

i have a huge door for a German Shepard....double flap and tons of magnets. My kitty is a head bumper and pushed right through. I purchased a pet safe wireless kit (get the small, comes with a large and small collar). I put it next to the doggie door and the collar on my kitty and it beeps, then shocks if he gets too close. He hears the beep and skidattles. My kitty is a long hair so I have to cut his fur around his neck (Do not shave, just cut some off). I also have a Wyze cam so I can see what he’s doing. Pics of door with pet safe (looks like a super small smoke detector with camera), collar on kitty. Tried to add a video of him hearing the beep and running away, but it wouldn’t take a video. But, it works great. Paid $47 on Amazon.