Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you keep a cat from using the doggie door?

Posted by bettylu_zone6a (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 3, 09 at 1:09

I recently had to have my wonderful cat Lindsey euthanized at the ripe age of 18. I am not ready yet to bring a new cat into my home, but I am thinking about it.

I worry, though, because I have a doggie door for my dogs and don't want my next kitty to stray. Lindsey never left the yard, but she was a stray that adopted US, so our home was where she wanted to be. If I adopt an adult cat, how will I know that it will want to stay and not leave?

It will be very hard if not impossible to keep the doggie door closed to the cat, although I guess it would take a little time for the cat to figure it out. Has anyone dealt with this and have you any suggestions?

Also, the pet rescue places won't let you adopt unless you say you won't let the cat out. I wouldn't do it purposely, but with a doggie door, how can I truthfully say it will never get out!

BettyLu

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you keep a cat from using the doggie door?

There are dog doors that are enabled by a chip or something in the collar. If the cat doesn't have the "key", the door won't open. Other than that, I don't know what you could do. This is an ongoing issue for my sister, she has lost 3 cats to coyotes in the last two years, she finally had to close off the dog door to keep the new kitten in.

o

Maybe you can adopt a adult who has been raised indoors. One of my two cats is exclusively indoors, she is afraid of outside..The other one I ended up with and was let outside, she escapes all the time and I am running after her to catch her all the time. We live on a busy street and would get run over for sure.

o

You can get pet doors that open when the animal with a special collar that opens the door goes through, after that it does not open for anyone else. They are great for keeping out wild animals as well....goodluck

o

Especially racoons! That happened to me and boy what fun. Our husky did not appreciate it but we (I) did get it out of the patio and gone. We didn't have too many in the area, thank goodness. We had a fence around the house so it did keep coyotes out and other critters.

o

I have a kitty door that is activated my magnets. We did it because coons were getting in at night to eat.
Works fine - cats wear a little magnet on their collar and when they are getting close to the kitty door, the lock is disabled. Took some time for them to figure out, but not too long.

o

Thanks all for your funny stories and suggestions! I live in a subdivision in the county... so really no problems with critters (at least in the last 4+ years since I had the door put in). Although once my cat brought in a baby opossom (unharmed) and delivered it to my daughter in the wee hours of the morning! I think she thought it was one of her babies - mind you, the cat was around 15 years old at the time and was spayed many years ago!

The problem with getting a door that has some kind of mechanism for triggering the lock/unlock feature is that I have 6 little dogs as well as the cat and I am not ready to purchase so many collars and changing the door itself. I had this door professionally installed when I had my sunroom put in and it is mounted in the wall - I hope never to have to change it out!

I acquired a stray from a friend a couple of days ago, and so far, he is uninterested in leaving the spare bedroom, much less leaving the house! LOL I think he is glad to be inside where it is warm and cozy!

BettyLu

o

I acquired a stray from a friend a couple of days ago, and so far, he is uninterested in leaving the spare bedroom, much less leaving the house! LOL I think he is glad to be inside where it is warm and cozy!

How wonderful. I was thinking to suggest also, to just wait for another stray kitty to take residence in your yard..but looks like you already have now by now :) Looks like a win for everyone, kitty included

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here