Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

How to introduce kitten to older cat

Our daughter brought her 8 week old kitten to stay with us over winter break. We have a 14 year old cat, mostly blind and with health issues stemming from a stroke years back. Our cat is laid back, social and friendly, and has never shown any competitiveness with neighborhood cats when they stop by and look in the door.

I�d like suggestions for the best way to introduce them to each other. We tried a brief encounter today, after the kitten was in the house for a number of hours (they were well separated). I sat on the sofa and petted the older cat until she was very comfortable and purring. Then my daughter brought in the kitten and lifted her closer to my cat. We were expecting the older cat to have issues:she would have smelled the kitten on me in the last few days, but she never stopped purring, and did not react in any way.

It was the kitten who objected! Even though she was just adopted from a shelter 5 days ago, where there were plenty of adult cats. She hissed and growled. We pulled her back right away, and my daughter took her back upstairs. They saw each other for no more than 2 minutes.

What should we do? Just try again every day? We need them to get along. My daughter will be bringing her pet over for holidays or whenever she goes out of town.
Thanks!

Comments (2)