Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vet tech please- medicating/sedating a dog during flight..

Posted by ilmbg (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 17, 09 at 20:32

I will be recieving a small (9#) dog tomorrow by airline. the dog will be in cargo, NOT baggage. I am a bit concerned that the shipper wants to lightly sedate the dog with 10mg of diphenhydramine. That is normally a pretty benign drug. Some sedatives/pain meds/cardia meds that we use for humans are not givien at the same rate while 'in flight transport'. I want to make certain it is safe for a small dog. I can't call a vet now, as it is after hours where I am...
TY

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vet tech please- medicating/sedating a dog during flight..

I am not a vet tech, but I can tell you that when I had a dog flown to MN from TX several years ago, the airline strictly forbade any sedative to be given to the animal because of the potentially dangerous effects of such drugs in the dog's body at altitude. You need to have the shipper contact the airline and make sure that the use of a sedative in a dog is allowed during air transport. Even if the airline does permit it, if it were my dog, there's NO WAY I would permit the administration of even the tiniest dose of any sort of sedative before putting an animal on a flight.

Laurie

o

I would also refuse to accept a dog that has been drugged. If the sender wants to send the animal with a drop of rescue remedy then fine, anything else I would have issue with. PS - baggage and cargo are the basic same place

o

I think I have talked her out of it- I hope so... Having a flight attendant for a roommate a few years ago made my decision on which airline to use for the flight. There is some difference with Delta- of course it will still be noisy, but the cargo area has some climate control/pressure, which baggage does not. My first choise was in cabin, but couldn't find anybody that would be his 'babysitter' on a flight in cabin.
I will be anxious until he arrives safe and sound tomorrow night.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here