Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Has anyone toilet trained their kitten?

To use a human toilet. I adopted a 3 month old kitten yesterday and was thinking about giving it a try. I am not good about changing the litter box. I don't have much of a sense of smell, and it gets bad before I notice. My husband is very sensitive, so I don't want to subject him to it. I am home all the time for the next 6 months so can be very consistent with training. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• annzgw
    9 years ago

Some cats take to it and some don't. There are sites that sell kits to make training easier but read the link below before making your decision.
    I believe that if a cat is healthy, yet you find it has a very smelly poop, then the solution is to change the cat's diet.
    I find that my cat's litter box has very little if any odor but I do scoop once a day. My cat's diet is all wet food so she urinates a lot and I don't think there's any way I could skip a day of scooping!

The only thing I'd worry about in the future is if your cat developed health issues (sore back, leg problems, and just general old age aches). Climbing up on a toilet would take a lot of effort vs walking into a litter box.
    Here's one site that sells the kits: http://www.amazon.com/CitiKitty-Cat-Toilet-Training-Kit/dp/B000F1OS20

Here is a link that might be useful: pros & cons

• emma
    9 years ago

You don't need a good sense of smell regarding a litter box. You just get a routine of cleaning out the lumps and putting in new litter in. The ladies here can give you an idea of how often. My cats have always been in door/outdoor cats. Can't do that now because we have a pair of foxes who live in the hedge row behind our homes. Last summer there was the parents and four kits. A cat wouldn't stand a chance outside.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Linnea, ideally the poopies should be removed daily and the litter changed according to the directions on whatever brand litter you use. I have plain clay, non clumping litter and empty the box once a week or less for one cat. Again, the solids are removed daily.

I would never try to toilet train a cat. Who wants to sit on a toilet seat that a cat has been crawling all over? Ick. Keeping the litter box clean is one of the responsibilities of loving your cat.

• 3katz4me
    9 years ago

I tried toilet training mine once but wasn't successful. As someone else mentioned, you don't wait for the litterbox to stink before you clean it. If you do you're likely to have a cat that starts using a clean place outside the box to do its business. We use scoopable litter and scoop it on the way out in the morning and when we get home at night.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

It only takes a few seconds to scoop it every day. My cat has bad constipation so I need to know if he pooped or not so I can give him a laxative. It's not fair to the cat to have to use a dirty, stinky litter box. I use litter that clumps. Otherwise it really stinks of pee. I'd be afraid the kitten would fall in the toilet. Then you'd have to bathe it. Ugh!

• craftylady
    9 years ago

I have to agree with the others. Cats are not meant to go in the toilet and they would prefer a little box or to be let out. I use a corn based litter and scoop every morning it takes less than 3 minutes to do it. I Dump the litter and refill once a week and I wash his box out about every other month.

• scarlett2001
    9 years ago

If you are successful with the cat, could you please work with training my husband??

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County