Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Valium dosage for 9lb dog

Posted by michelle_phxaz (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 1, 10 at 19:33

A friend of mine has a 9 lb dog that doesn't like to travel or be crated, and she needs to get him on a plane. Her vet gave her a prescription for Valium, 2mg each. She is concerned that this is too high of a dosage, so please let me know what your opinions are on this medicine and amount.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Valium dosage for 9lb dog

I suspect the vet is not aware that the dog is to travel by plane and the meds were dispensed for some other reason.

Pets should not be sedated for air travel.

The effect of changes in cabin pressure and altitude combined with the sedative can be fatal. The correct dosage to give the put is NONE. And most airlines would not knowingly allow the dog on the plane if they knew it had been tranquilized.

Your friend needs to get pup used to being in a travel crate by conditioning with treats to help him associate the crate with good things. If she doesn't think this is possible, that dog will be better off if he stays with a friend, or at a kennel while she travels.

o

I agree 100% with cynthia. Friend needs to train dog to be calm in crate. May try benadryl (diphenhydramine) to lightly calm the nerves, or a pheromone calming collar. Unfortunately some vets do still knowingly dispense sedatives for air travel.

o

Ditto what cynthia said.
Has your friend ever tried to travel on a plane with the dog? Maybe it's more her nerves than the dog's??
I've owned small dogs that had never been in a crate and had no problems carrying them on planes in a soft sided crate/carrier. The noise of an airport and the planes was always enough to keep them quiet.

I do hope she's planning on taking the dog on board with her. If not, then she should pay extra for counter-to-counter handling of the dog.
Never put it in cargo.

o

Great points, I am so not a dog person that I would never have thought of any of this, I am sure she is not sending him through the cargo section, he is small and would be with her in the cabin. Thanks all, I will pass this along to her.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here