Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cal_dreamer

Looks like we beat the odds, thank goodness.

cal_dreamer
13 years ago

Layla, our 4(ish) year old Border Colllie mix rescue, decided to eat some Sago Palm last Thursday. My husband had trimmed the pups off the base of the old palm in the backyard, and had left them in a pile - not realizing how toxic they are. One of the pups/offshoots had been split in half by the shovel, so Layla decided to eat the pulp out of it - about the size of 1/2 grapefruit.

We didn't realize she had eaten it at first, but she looked sick when we got home from work and then she refused dinner. Luckily DH found pulpy barf on the back patio, we put 2 and 2 together and rushed to the emergency vet where they started an IV, drew labs, and gave activated charcoal.

Luckily she must have thrown it up fast enough to save her liver (ALT is now normal) but it damaged her stomach lining enough that she vomited every 3 hours until 3AM yesterday. PT was also elevated and she received vitamin K shots every 12 hours.

I have been the transport nurse since our regular vet is not staffed at night, and the emergency vet is closed during the day. Thank goodness her IV catheter lasted through the whole ordeal.

Today she's kept down a tablespoon of plain greek yogurt and I'm giving her a mix of EVO 95% chicken & turkey canned food mixed with white rice cooked in chicken broth. She doesn't want to eat, but she'll take the "meatballs" from my hand. Her Albumin had dropped to 1.4 so we've got to get the protein in without making her vomit.

So far so good.

Thankfully my other dog did not eat any!

I can't get into the holistic vet for another week, but I wanted to share our story for two reasons: 1) to see if anyone has suggestions on how to help support her stomach as it heals, and 2) to spread the warning about Sago Palms. Here in So Cal they are EVERYWHERE!!!

Keeping our fingers crossed that she's turned the corner and is now a survivor of a horrible toxin.

Here is a link that might be useful: Article on Sago Palms

Comments (12)

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

How horrible!

Thanks for posting this-
    I bet you've saved a lot of people a lot of grief today.

I'm so glad your pupper is going to be okay!

• cal_dreamer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. We know we aren't out of the woods yet, and there could be some permanent damage - but we are cautiously optimistic.

Luckily she was really healthy when it happened so we hope she'll bounce back.

• ladybugfruit
    13 years ago

So glad to hear Layla is hanging in there and how fortunate that you were able to catch what happened in time. I can't offer any suggestions about helping the stomach heal, but I still do email/phone consults with my holistic vet even though she's across the country. She's been very helpful to me on many occasions in the past, if you google it, her name is Dr. Anna Marie Gardner, Petsynergy. Maybe she could help you out until you can see you regular holistic vet.
    I am sending healing thoughts Layla's way.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    13 years ago

I am happy to hear that your dog survived this. This happened to me about 10 years ago. My cat and dog just nibbled on the leaves and then proceeded to throw up in six different places (I was at work)! I had no idea that plant was so toxic. I will send up prayers that your dog gets better soon.

• quasifish
    13 years ago

I am so sorry that you are dealing with this. I pray your dog is feeling better soon, and without any ill effects.

It's amazing what they will eat. I also live in SoCal and have noticed we tend to grow a lot of toxic plants here in our landscaping (not sure if this is true in other parts of the country) and it's so easy to overlook them where our pets are concerned. Oleanders are a good example, among the many others. Heck, a few months ago when DH and I were considering adopting a dog, I suddenly realized that even our grapevines could be a problem. About 10 years ago when we had our old lab, she got into eating the mushrooms that grew in the lawn overnight. We did not even know that they were out there and that she was eating them, she was just getting sick suddenly.

When your dog is feeling better, you could ask your vet if it might be okay to give her milk thistle for a few months. My understanding of milk thistle is that it is pretty safe for animals and people, and it provides good support for liver function in particular, but also kidney support. (I gave my kitty milk thistle for about 6 months when her liver values were off, they eventually stabilized and she's had no problems w/liver values since). A probiotic complex might also help get her system restabilized, especially if she is having digestive problems after her ordeal. Again, do some research online yourself and also talk to your vet to see if they are okay with it. I took an article I printed off a reputable cat site to my vet when I wanted to try the milk thistle, and she wasn't overly sold on it, but didn't think it would have any ill effects so gave us the go-ahead.

Best of luck to you. Keep us updated on how your girl is doing.

• cal_dreamer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions.

Layla is doing better - even ate some of her regular kibble this morning (which really surprised me.) I'm trying to ease back into a normal daily routine although she thinks it's perfectly acceptable to be hand-fed the 'meatballs' multiple times a day! I'm trying to convince her it's time to go back to eating out of her dish. :) (LOL)

My regular vet is good, but old school/conservative. Doesn't really believe in herbal supplements so I won't even ask him. I'll just wait to get in with my Holistic vet next week.

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

I'm so glad that Layla is doing better. It is scarey how many toxins there are in the environment.

We don't have palms here in my corner of the cold northeast, but we have had toxic blue green algae in recent years in some of our lakes and waterways. A dozen years ago we lost our 6 year old collie who drank from a brook that contained the poisonous blooms. It was an horrific experience.

I'm glad that your other dog did not eat any of the palm, and hope that your border collie continues to recover.

• cal_dreamer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Layla is doing really well.

Luckily the Holistic vet had a cancellation and we've got her on milk thistle twice a day and another herb mix (peony root?) to help support her liver as it heals. She had been limping, so had a chiropractic adjustment as well. Wow, she is really walking so much better - must have been from wrestling with Bo prior to the poisoning, then lying in a vet kennel for a week. (We kind of forgot about the limping since it happened right before the poisoning!)

I can tell she feels so much better and is getting her strength back. She still has 3 liver enzymes slightly elevated and we'll re-check labs after a few weeks of therapy.

Thanks for all the good wishes!

• Meghane
    13 years ago

So glad she is doing better. I hope she continues to have a complete and speedy recovery!

• cal_dreamer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just an update:

It's been about 3 months since the poisoning, and Layla's labs are almost back to normal. Last month her ALT was 171, this month it's down to 130. (High normal at our lab is 118.) So we'll go another month on adenosyl and milk thistle per the vet's recommendation. All her other labs in her metabolic profile hit normal last month, and have stayed there. Just the ALT is still coming down slowly, but steadily.

Thanks again for all your good wishes during a tough (and horribly expensive) time.

• Ninapearl
    13 years ago

so nice to see a good update on your girl! way to go, lyla!

• Fori
    13 years ago

Poor thing! Thanks for the warning and update.