Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No turkey bones for pets!

Posted by marlingardener (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 25, 09 at 17:10

I'm fairly sure you all know this, but turkey (or any poultry) bones break into shards and can cause serious damage to a pet's digestive tract. Giving a bit of turkey is fine, just don't give the drumstick!
Happy Thanksgiving to all you pets, and your servants!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No turkey bones for pets!

mine don't get bones OR meat since poultry doesn't agree with them!

happy thanksgiving to all!!!

o

Learn from my experience. Don't let your dog lick out the roasting pan, either. Pancreatitis can be fatal. Even partially rinsed, the brown crusties at the bottom of the pan are too fatty for the health of your pets.

o

I cook the turkey innards and give the heart to the dog as his Turkey Day treat. The rest of the gizzard gets chopped up and put into the dressing for the humans (but, shhhh! don't tell the kids).

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

o

Mine get all the innards (raw). The neck is the hard part -- I have to smash it with a hammer in order to cut it in half for them.

Cooked bones...no way.

o

Yep, the dog gets the raw neck and the cats get the chopped innards.

o

A neighbor had a dog die from chicken bones..My sister won't feed bones from pork chops. One of her dogs had trouble with them, they tend to splinter. Vet told her no bones at all.

o

I agree.. remember.... RAW bones are fine.. they don't "splinter"... cooked bones "splinter".

I've been known to throw my pups (old dogs) an occasional raw neck bone, but never cooked bones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here