Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellic_gw

Dog keeps company away

KelliC
10 years ago

My dog is way too hyper. Whenever anyone but me comes into the house she is jumping, whining, and crying. She is 35 lbs but can jump high enough to headbutt. We've gone through obedience, but if we're at home it's different. I know it's just excitement to see people, but I'm not sure how to get it to stop. No one wants to come over to my house right now because of this, and it's getting hard to find people to let her out while I'm at work when she acts like this.
She will be 1 year old in 5 days so she's not really a puppy anymore. She is Chow, border collie, maybe Shiba Inu mix. I have a poodle/mastiff mix that's 6.5 months old and 57 lbs that is starting to jump just like the other. Of course I need to get her to stop this too since she's going to be waaay too big for this.

Thank you!

Comments (6)

• User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You need to be in charge and it is much easier to stop the unwanted behavior before it starts.

A one year old can still be a tweener---more trouble than a puppy.

Being in charge means the dogs view you as their boss. You set the rules and you do not accept misbehavior or rule breaking. That can be done by voice and body commands. You do not have to 'discipline' by hitting or 'rolling' or other severe methods. The leash means you have initial control---because you have to assert your control. Once you establish your voice/body control, you can remove the leashes.

The fastest way to train is to have a couple friends help. Start by making sure both dogs obey leash commands. Mainly stop, sit, and sit quietly.

Put both dogs on leashes(it is almost as easy to train both at the same time, provided you can handle them). And if one does not get the training at the same pace, the other may revert.

Ok, both on leashes. Go to the living room/den/dining room---the room where they are close to the door but can not see it. Have them sit quietly and the friend ring or knock---which ever act sets them off. All you do is hold them there until they resume a quiet sit. Might take 10 minutes or even more.

The point is to trigger the unwanted behavior and not reward it(by going to the door.) This procedure has to be maintained---and it can take several days---until the ring/knock no longer triggers their response of excitement.

Then you can do the same---and this time, take them to the door, but do not open it. Do that until they no longer trigger.

At other times, you need to work on teaching them not to jump---again, the leash is the easiest and fastest, not to mention the safest for guests.

Stopping the behavior means you do not have to correct or punish that behavior. But, you(not a trainer or behaviorist) has to become the boss. Those folks may be able to help you become the boss, but they cannot train the dog to follow you if you are not the boss.

Please note I refrained from using several buzz words, mainly because some people cannot get pas those words to allow what I mean to explain. And what I explain is from my own experience with working with dangerous or terribly shy dogs, as well as 'normal' ones.

I forgot---reward the good behavior. Petting, calm "Good dog", or a tiny treat(I don't use treats, but that is a personal choice) after the good behavior happens.

Ignore the unwanted behavior(unless they do something dangerous, like biting, hard pawing, body slams, etc.)

Example, you tell the dog "Sit!" The dogs sits briefly and gets up. You say "Sit!" and continue until the dog sits for several seconds---like 15. Then praise the dog---"Good Dog!" and pet them---calmly, and not in a manner which excites the dog.

Then go do something else and 15 minutes later you say "Sit!" If the dog does not---repeat the initial steps---until the Sit rule is firmly established.

You have defined the behavior you want---and the behavior you will reward. The gotcha is that from then on, "Sit!" means just that and you expect them to obey every time. You never let them get away with not following the Sit rule. Ever.

This post was edited by handymac on Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 20:18

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think what I'm missing at home is a friend to help. My trainer and I worked on the dog on the leash (with gentle leader) and getting them used to people coming up and knocking on the door. We did almost exactly what you described. The only difference is that they were not allowed to cross a specific line when I opened the door. So if I place them 5 feet from the door they cannot come any closer or bumrush the guests.

They do respect me and listen to me every time except when people come over. I think part of it is that my parents (who take care of them while I'm at work) refuse to work with them like I do. My dad lets his own dogs jump all over people and yells at ME if I make them stop. He gets upset that my dog acts like she does, but he rewards her behavior. If I put her outside when he comes over she jumps and throws herself at the door. So he lets her in despite me telling him do not until shes calm. Same with them jumping at their gate. When company comes over for now they're in a tiled room with a baby gate. They jump at the gate and he walks up and pets them.

• User
    10 years ago

As long as anyone undermines your training, you will not succeed. Your parents are the cause---and unless they follow your wishes and train/treat the dogs as you wish, nothing you do will work.

• dreamgarden
    10 years ago

I read a book on dog training that I found at an antiques store. I thought the author's idea about prohibiting this type of behavior was good. It didn't involve violence, force, isolation or any type of punishment.

He installed one or two eye hooks at ankle level in key areas along the baseboard of his living room. He attached dog leashes to these. When he was expecting guests, he would bring to the dog to the nearest leash and attach him to it, so the dog would be able to stay in that room without jumping all over guests.

As long as they have water (or are let out when they need to go), it seems like a good way to let the animal be able to socialize without them becoming to much of a pest.

• robertz6
    10 years ago

If:

A) the dog goes out the door before you
    The dog is in front of you on walks
    You show affection while the dog is excited and demanding attention
    The dog obey commands poorly

Then the dog is the leader and you are the follower. If so, the dog feel he or she can do anything they want to. And the dog is correct in terms of animal behavior.

• pekemom
    10 years ago

Our peke thinks anyone coming to the door is there to see him....he will jump at them with excitement...some are not happy seeing a bugged eyed dog coming at them, although he only wants to play, not bite....if I know someone is coming over I put him away or on a leash in one of those mesh halters....if not I chase him down and hold him....his behavior hasn't changed, we've adapted...