Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetchastity

New kitten advice needed

sweetchastity
9 years ago

I got a new kitten last week and I've been keeping my cats separated because my older cat didn't have her shots yet (as well as knowing how to socialize them by letting them know each other under the door, etc). I wanted to be able to swap my cats but my vet says my older cat needs 14 days for the FLV shot to kick in. I don't know if the kitten has FLV but the shelter doesn't test for it unless they show signs of being ill and to be on the safe side I decided to immunize Muffin (my older cat). She said it's highly contagious so I've resigned myself to the fact I'll be living out of my bedroom for the next 10 days but I'm concerned if it is really that contagious can it be passed under doors? My kitten is also making a break for it and making it into the living room a few feet away from Muffin. Could Muffin be exposed by this brief escape?

Also the bedroom window is about 6" higher than my head and I'd like to get a really tall cat tower so my kitten can watch the world because she is seriously hyper. She wants to play constantly and meows endlessly when I go to make dinner (despite playing with her for at least an hour after I get home). I figured the window would be a good distraction for her but one friend at work says they would be worried that the kitten might try to jump down. I never thought of that really because I figured if there was a huge cat tower there then she'd use it or maybe jump down onto the bed near the window. She is a bit of a psycho so now I'm worried but I really think she'd love it. I've read that cat's always land on their feet, that it's not true but a myth, that they can't hurt themselves falling, that they can get serious injuries from falls, lots of different things.

Does a cat tower sound like a bad idea? I have a cat scratch post that is about 3 feet tall and she loves to dig her claws into it and climb it so I assume she would do the same on the tower, preferring to jump on the different ledges and dig her claws into it rather than jump straight down.

Thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated!!

Comments (8)

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

It sounds like she's a healthy, active, curious kitten.

normal in other words (for a cat).

If I were sure she couldn't get *out* the window, I think I'd be comfortable with the cat tower as long as I
    a) put the cat tower close to the bed, or between the bed & the bureau or dresser, in case of falls &
    b) watched her for the first few hours to make sure that I hadn't overlooked a hazard.

It's been a number of years since I had a new kitten in the house, so, if I were in your shoes, I'd cross-examine my vet about the vaccines.

If your older cat has been indoor-only, what is the risk of her being infected?
    Is there a test to determine if the older cat has been infected?
    etc

I always like to hear that someone has adopted a cat/kitten into his/her life;
    they're so much fun, & so good for us, & we can make the difference between, not only life or death, but a *good*, happy, healthy life &...anything less.

I hope your kitties enrich your life, & you theirs, for many years to come.

Bless you!

• violetwest
    9 years ago

Congrats on your new buddy! I can't answer your question about the FLV -- that should be addressed to your vet.

As far as the cat tower -- it's a great idea. If you are concerned about the kitten jumping down from that height, then arrange an intermediate shelf or piece of furniture it can use as a landing pad.

You might check out Jackson Galaxy's new book, "Catification" which has all sorts of ideas on building suitable perches etc. for cats.

• mdln
    9 years ago

Congratulations on your new kitten and THANK YOU for saving a life by adopting from a shelter.

How old is the kitten? If greater than 6 months, test the kitten for FeLV. (If under 6 months, can have a false positive result).

Yes, while rare, FeLV (feline leukemia virus) is highly contagious.

Post pics!!!

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/FHC/health_resources/brochure_felv.cfm

Here is a link that might be useful: FeLV

• sweetchastity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Miyu (pronounced me-you) is 3 months old so the test wouldn't be accurate for another 3 months. My vet said to keep them apart and not let them exchange places until Muffin has had 14 days to build up immunity. I'm taking the kitten to the vet next week so I'll probably get her FLV immunized as well. It wasn't that expensive for Muffin (that was the flea treatment >

• sweetchastity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Muffin on the left and lil Miss Ninja Miyu on right.

• mdln
    9 years ago

Oh, they are both SO cute! The cat tree looks like a lot of kitty fun. I'd get it.

Please know the FeLV vaccine is not 100% effective, I think it is ~75-80%. We learned that when my sisters cat, who would occasionally go out in the yard died of FeLV - despite being vaccinated.

Probably the best way to prevent FeLV is by keeping kitties indoors.

• romy718
    9 years ago

I can offer no advice. I saw "new kitten" on the sidebar & was hoping there would be pics. Adorable & very lucky kittens!

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I have had cats and kittens all of my life. I"m well into my 50's. I have always seen them land on their feet. The only time I ever saw one limping was out outdoor feral (she's fixed) 2 year old female, Callie. She climbs everything. We have seen her on top of the tall shed (about 7 feet tall), in the boats and way up a tree. My indoor cat, Zachariah, meows whenever I stay in the kitchen too long. Especially after I get home from being out most of the day. He just wants me to come and be with him.