Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cat butt scooting

Posted by lisa11310 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 15, 09 at 15:25

I know this can be a sign of worms in dogs but I have never seen a cat do this. What other than worms may cause this behavior? She is an indor only rescued stray who has been here over a year. None of our cats go out. I don't think there would be any way for her to get worms. This is new behavior. Could it be a result of hairballs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cat butt scooting

My cat does it occasionally. I know it has something to do with the anal glands.

o

In deed it is a sign your cats anal glands could be impacted - time for a trip to the vet to have them reduced. Note if you let this go, and your can can not reduce the gland with butt scooting, the gland could rupture, this happened with my friends dog. Not fun - painful for the animal.
If your cat has worms, usually tape worms can be seen by the naked eye, they look like small pieces of rice. Tape worms means you need better flea control.Hope everything turns out okay Good luck

o

One of my cats does that, left a bit of a trail of poop once. I asked the vet when I brought her in shortly after I saw her do this for her shots. She checked her and nothing wrong. Just has a itchy but I guess.

o

Thanks guys. The only thing that has changed is her litter "worls greatest" the corn stuff (really good stuff but not all my cats will use it). The cats dont have fleas. Since this is new behavior I will assume she could be developing an anal gland problem. HHHUUMM I did change foods to a "urinary tract" formula as I have a big orange male tabby that is 5 and I know they are prone to uti's and crystals. Wondering if this may be drying her fecies out a bit causing itching. I just found a new vet that does house calls in my area. Sounds like a great time to give her a try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here